The Security Systems Manager is responsible for the administration
of the security systems utilized to protect university facilities
and for the work of contractors working on maintenance or
installations of those systems. The Security Systems Manager is a
subject matter expert on the physical access control,
closed-circuit television, emergency communication, and mass
notification systems used by the department.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Manages Access to University Facilities: Responsible for the
management, administration, and training of policies and procedures
associated with keys, cores, and access cards for all university
facilities. Performs and/or oversees loading and deleting
cards/cardholders and establishing and setting up time zones,
access levels, and locking and unlocking schedules. Responsible for
access control system file maintenance, database management, and
archiving of system transaction data. This position serves in an
after-hours on-call rotation for card access and key-related
emergencies. Generates reports, analyzes data, and oversees daily
workflows associated with the security systems.
- Oversees Maintenance and Improvements of Physical Security
Systems: Oversees maintenance work on hardware and software
associated with security systems. Serves as project manager or
assists the assigned project manager for improvements to the
security systems on campus. Responsible for the invoicing and
billing of other departments and processing invoices from outside
vendors. Works with the Office of Information Technology, Planning
& Project Management, Facilities Management, and Housing &
Dining Programs to ensure all security systems are functioning
- Other Duties as Assigned: Perform other duties as assigned to
support the core functions of the department.
Required Education and Experience
- Full time
- Project Leader/Advisor B
- This position is required to work outside of normal business
hours, including nights and weekends, and serve in an after- hours
- Position is considered as essential personnel under the
University Personnel policies.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Associate's degree or equivalent
- 3-5 years of relevant experience working with physical access
control, closed-circuit television, emergency communication, mass
notification and/or related systems.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 4-6 years of relevant experience
- Prior work experience in a higher education and/or campus
- Certified as an Installer/Maintainer or higher for C-Cure
- Certified as a Basic Genetec Security Desk/Omnicast
- Certified as a Commend Intercom Technician
- Two years’ experience working with the Salto Access Control
- Experience working with Rave Safety Suite and Alertus
- Basic knowledge of computer networking and systems
- Organizational Skills: Ability to organize, carefully prepare,
and review one’s own work to ensure completeness and accuracy;
clarify priorities, expectations and timelines; manage time
effectively; set up procedures to ensure high quality of work and
adherence to deadlines; and follow up with others to ensure that
agreements and commitments have been fulfilled.
- Communication Skills: Ability to express oneself orally and in
writing in a clear and concise manner and produce written material
that is free of spelling and grammatical errors.
- Analytical Skills: Ability to analyze information, identify
trends, outliers, and anomalies; evaluate findings, draw
conclusions, and develop recommendations and alternatives to solve
- Standard Office Software: Skill using email, word processing,
spreadsheet/ data analysis and presentation development software
applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
while preparing briefings, reports, and presentations.
- Database Management: Ability to use of database management
systems and software to control the organization, storage,
retrieval, security, and integrity of data.
- Billing: Ability to perform basic financial transactions
involving invoice processing and related record keeping.
- Hiring offers are contingent on the successful completion of a
background check and drug screening.
Current American University Employees:
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at
American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU
portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which
will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University
careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and
regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal
appearance, gender identity and expression, family
responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran
status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases
under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its
programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: