The Senior Business Intelligence Developer will be responsible for
analyzing user analytical needs; developing system requirements;
designing and implementing reporting and analytics solutions to
meet requirements and support defined outcomes; and driving
expansion of the AU Business Intelligence platform to university’s
various business domains. They will collaborate with and receive
technical guidance from the BI Solutions Architect, as well as with
multiple customers/stakeholders as needed.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Work with business units to understand their reporting and
analytical needs, analyze their requirements, develop technical
approach and conduct feasibility assessment. Provide level of
effort and duration estimates for the recommended reporting and
- Develop information products (reports, documents, dashboards,
etc.) and applications that meet defined outcomes. Work with BI and
Data Architects to ensure that the most efficient BI solution is
implemented. Develop business intelligence semantic layer. Work
with extended technology team members to implement any necessary
custom solutions. Ensure the integrity, reliability and data
quality of the BI products.
- Ensure that the developed solution meets business user needs by
coordinating user acceptance testing activities. Timely process
user input and make technical adjustments, such as bug fixes or
addressing enhancement requests. Analyze impact of the enhancement
requests on the implementation timeline and either manage user
expectations or escalate to the supervisor. Ensure adherence to
enterprise standards and processes.
- Support AU’s data warehouse, technical architecture, and
business intelligence solutions, as assigned, and as needed.
Provide technical support and assistance to business intelligence
users through training, presentations, documentation and one-on-one
- Facilitate and support data governance framework implementation
Required Education and Experience
- Full time
- Team Leader/Consultant A
- Availability after-hours to support staff as needed.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 4-6 years of relevant experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Experience in dimensional data modeling is a plus.
- Familiarity with SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) is a
- Familiarity with best practices in data warehousing is a
- Familiarity with SQL Server Reporting Services (SSIS) is a
- Familiarity with Entrinsik’s Informer 5 reporting tool is a
- Familiarity with SDLC and iterative processes, as well as
understanding and participation in change management procedures is
- Experience with ERP solutions/ integrating data from ERP
solutions is a plus.
- Experience with Microsoft Dynamics CRM solutions/ integrating
data from CRM solutions is a plus.
- Understanding and experience with web technologies is a
- Understanding and experience with Collibra’s Data Governance
Center is a plus
- Developing/ implementing data warehousing and business
intelligence solutions and integrating applications in a relational
- Knowledge of BI tools and experience implementing solutions
with Microstrategy and Microsoft BI tools.
- Strong experience with SQL.
- Strong experience with MS Excel.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, ability to multi-task
effectively and manage priorities across multiple staff and
- Excellent communication, analytical skills, as well as the
ability to work effectively with all levels of management,
customers and vendors.
- Demonstrated ability to interface with a wide variety of users
to determine business requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to translate business requirements into BI
- Desire & ability to learn and apply new skills/technologies
quickly and efficiently.
- Proactive, results-oriented and can-do attitude extremely
- Demonstrated flexibility, with the ability to work with
different business areas and new technologies as the team evolves
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful
completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires
COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn
more about our health and safety directive.
Current American University Employees:
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at
American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU
portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which
will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University
careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and
regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal
appearance, gender identity and expression, family
responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran
status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases
under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its
programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: