The position’s primary function is to provide executive and
administrative support and assistance to the dean, associate deans
and their teams. This work includes: facilitating optimal
interaction between the dean, associate deans, and those within and
outside the College; coordinating special projects and preparing
for meetings; ordering office supplies; and managing the office
mail. The work includes serving as the receptionist for the CAS
Dean’s Office. Functions as the primary contact for
Battelle-Tompkins Building on facilities and maintenance related
matters. In the absence of the Special Assistant to the Dean, this
position also provides additional executive and administrative
support to the Dean.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Reception Desk - Answer the telephone, greet and direct
visitors. Prepare mail for pick up and distribute incoming mail.
Order supplies for the Dean’s Office. Maintain the Dean’s
conference room schedule. Monitor and respond to CAS public email
- Team Project Assistance – Assist with special projects, as
needed, under the direction of the Dean, Associate Deans, and their
functional teams. These tasks include working with database
reports, assisting with paperwork for faculty actions,
communicating with students and faculty about awards, and
preliminary review of travel requests.
- Administrative Support - Provide administrative support and
assistance to the Dean, Associate Deans, and their teams while
handling confidential information and materials with discretion.
This work includes: answering the Dean and the Assoc. Deans’ phones
and maintaining their calendars. Makes travel arrangements as
needed for the Dean and the Assoc. Deans.
- Other Duties - Assist in coordinating events sponsored by the
Dean’s Office including ordering food and reserving space. Other
duties as assigned and delegated by supervisor.
Required Education and Experience
- Full time
- Specialist A
- This is not a union-eligible position
Preferred Education and Experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- High school diploma/GED
- One to three years of administrative work experience in an
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and strong
interpersonal and customer service skills
- Applicants must be detail-oriented, self-starter with strong
leadership skills, able to engage in and contribute to a growing
program with a strong team orientation
- Applicants must be able to multitask, prioritize, and work in a
dynamic and high pressure environment
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and
- Familiarity with multiple line phone systems
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful
completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires
COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn
more about our health and safety directive.
Current American University Employees:
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at
American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU
portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which
will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University
careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and
regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal
appearance, gender identity and expression, family
responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran
status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases
under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its
programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: