Part Time Instructor of Licensed Massage Therapy
Open Until Filled (notes):
Open for Academic year 21-22 (POOL position)
Length of Position:
Academic year - term by term
Anticipated Start Date:
Position Type/Employee Class:
Part Time Instructor
Starting Pay Range
$622 per load unit as per PT Salary Schedule, Step 1
Hours per Week:
5-8 hours per week
Days and evenings as needed
Days of the Week:
PRIMARY PURPOSE :
Prepare and teach courses in the Licensed Massage Therapy Program,
both first and/or second year program. Part-time instructors
provide didactic instruction, demonstrations and evaluate student
performance in the classroom. See catalog for list of all courses
in this program.
Terms of Employment:
• This is a part-time (< .50 FTE ) non-benefited position, hired
on a term-by-term basis. Hours of work may include evening or
weekend teaching assignments.
• Part-Time Instructor compensation begins at Step 1 / $622 per
load unit (LU). Load Unit is not always equivalent to class credit;
and shall include both teaching and other assignments.
• Part-Time Faculty positions are not represented by the Faculty
Forum Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• This position may include travel throughout the College
• Official transcripts are required upon hire. Applicants
anticipating Degree completion must supply a letter from his/her
university stating the degree title and that the degree will be
granted by that date.
• COCC employees must work and reside in the state of Oregon at the
time their work is being performed.
• The College is NOT able to support Visa applications for this
position. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United
States to be considered for this position.
• Upon hire, must pass criminal background check and/or driving
history; only information relevant to the position will be
- Provide instruction in one or more of the following courses:
Neuromuscular Treatments, Sports Massage, and Pathology for Massage
Therapy. This includes revising a syllabus, lecturing,
demonstrating and guiding performance of skills in classroom
setting, evaluating student progress, and assigning a final grade
according to established college policy. Teaching assignments can
include courses taught during the day, evening and/or weekend,
classes taught on or off campus in Bend, Redmond, Prineville and/or
Madras, online and/or remote.
- Instructors must provide one hour of office time per week, per
class to guide and evaluate student progress. All instructors are
expected to be available to their students during scheduled office
hours outside of class when students are scheduled on campus.
- Work collaboratively with other LMT staff to foster excellence
in content and delivery, while maintaining a program that is both
cohesive and progressive. This includes working successfully with
colleagues in the department to develop and modify curriculum,
integrate new instructional content/methods into courses, and work
to assure programmatic curricular coherence.
- Perform other essential duties and tasks as assigned. This may
include working with and supervising teaching assistants.
- Cooperate with other college personnel to assist students with
career planning, job placement, and follow-up studies.
- Act as a resource for students.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge in the field of massage therapy,
neuromuscular treatments, sports massage, pathology and
- Experience teaching to diverse audiences and groups.
- Ability to observe, direct, and supervise students effectively
in multiple classroom situations.
- Familiarity with and ability to operate or oversee the
operation of audio-visual equipment including: overhead projectors,
sound systems, interactive video and audio equipment including
computer-based mixed media presentations.
- Ability to oversee and grade written material.
- Ability to orally communicate effectively with others, using
the English language, with or without the use of an
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing, using the
English language, with or without the use of auxiliary aids or
- Ability to review, understand and apply concepts presented in
training programs, conferences, and/or professional
- Ability to work with Allied Health faculty and other COCC staff
at all levels.
- Ability to travel and/or teach at various hours and locations,
- Ability to competently advise and/or serve students from a
variety of backgrounds, respecting cultural and socio-economic
Physical Demands and Other Ergonomic Requirements:
Work performed in classroom and office environments can demand
walking, sitting, or standing at workstations for extended periods.
The employee is regularly required to:
- Use computers, white boards, projectors, and other basic office
- Sit, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or
controls, reach with hands and arms and requires visual acuity to
write, read written materials and computer screens, and have
sufficient hearing and speech ability for ordinary conversations.
Computer screens are used frequently.
- Occasionally lift up to 25lbs as equipment is moved.
- Travel throughout the college district as needed.
- A flexible work schedule, including evenings and weekends, may
be necessary due to the nature of the position
- All individuals are required to be able to perform the
essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
It is the policy of the Central Oregon Community College Board of
Directors that there will be no discrimination or harassment on the
basis of age, disability, sex, marital status, national origin,
ethnicity, color, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender
identity, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status
or any other protected classes under Federal and State statutes in
any educational programs, activities or employment. Persons having
questions about equal opportunity and nondiscrimination should
contact the Equal Employment Officer, c/o COCC’s Human Resources
In support of COCC’s EEO statement, employees with bilingual
fluency in English and Spanish is a plus, along with experience
working in a diverse multicultural setting.
1. Associate’s degree in Biological Science or related field.
2. Experience working and/or teaching for a minimum of two
3. Experience related to listed courses.
1. Prefer Bachelor’s degree in Biological Science or related
2. More than three years professional or teaching experience is a
3. Valid Oregon Massage License.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Part-time instructor pools are posted for the academic year to
obtain applications from those interested in teaching part-time as
a non-benefited instructor, on a term-by-term basis. Positions may
not necessarily be available at the time you apply. Your online
application will remain active for consideration throughout the
length of the posting unless you are notified otherwise.
Note that you will be required to upload/create the required
documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply.
Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. It is the
responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents,
including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact HR at
Is a Criminal History Check required?
Is a Credit History Check Required?
Open Until Filled
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your highest level of completed education?
- High School/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Other post graduate degree
- * How many years of COLLEGE LEVEL teaching experience do you
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 2-3 years
- 3 years
- More than 3 years
- * COCC has campuses in Bend, Prineville, Redmond, and Madras.
Please indicate in which locations you are willing to teach.
(Open Ended Question)
- The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained
outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants
who do not meet minimum qualifications, but present other
qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be
considered and are encouraged to apply. There may be other
requirements where an equivalency is acceptable. Please be aware
that applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements and do not
provide an equivalency statement will not be selected for an
interview. Your statement should make clear the requirement you are
addressing. Example: The position requires a Master’s degree. You
have a Bachelor’s degree and work experience when combined you feel
is equivalent to the degree requirement. Please make clear why you
feel it is equivalent.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you a U.S. military veteran? (COCC provides qualifying
veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment. To
receive veterans’ preference in this recruitment process, you must
upload your DD214 and DD215 (if applicable) form(s) as supporting
documentation. You will have the opportunity to upload the document
in the next step of this application process.)
- Yes, I am a veteran
- No, I am not a veteran
- If you have identified yourself as a qualified veteran or
disabled veteran by submitting your DD214 and DD215 (if applicable)
form(s) as proof of veteran status, please describe any
transferable skills earned during your military service that you
feel relate to the requirements/preferences of this position.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Background checks are required for all employees of COCC.
Should an offer of employment be made to you and accepted by you,
you will receive an email from COCC / HireRight Screening
requesting your consent and basic information to complete the
check. The offer of employment will be conditional upon
satisfactory completion of the criminal background check. Confirmed
findings on a criminal background check will not automatically
disqualify you from being hired into a position. Results are
evaluated on a case-by-case basis, considering the job
responsibilities and other risk factors. Additional information
regarding COCC’s criminal history check policy can be found online
in the General Procedures Manual, Section HR-2-1. Please indicate
here if you will provide consent to the criminal history check when
requested by the College:
- Yes, I will provide my consent when requested
- No, I will not provide my consent when requested
- * The College is NOT able to support Visa applications for this
position. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United
States to be considered for this position. Are you, or will you be
eligible to work in the US by the start date?
- Yes, I am already eligible to work in the US
- In progress; I am not currently eligible however will be by the
- No, I am not eligible and will not be eligible by the start
- * COCC employees must work and reside in the state of Oregon at
the time their work is being performed. Are you, or will you be
residing in the state of Oregon by the start date of this position?
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- College Transcript 1 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 2 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 3 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 4 (unofficial)
- US Military DD 214
- Other Document 1
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3
- Other Document 4
- Other Document 5
- Teaching Philosophy/Evidence of Teaching Potential
- Placement File, if applicable
- License or Certification
- Certification Document