Manager 1, Student Services
University Job Family
For more information on ORP, visit:
Scope of Search
Assistant Director, Undergraduate Admissions
Is this employee on a H1B Visa?
Office of Admissions
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity,
service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A
premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as
one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to
work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported
and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave
package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an
opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The Office of Admissions within the Division of Strategic
Enrollment Management and Student Success drives talented and
diverse student recruitment leading to student retention and
success at the University. Reporting to the Associate Director of
Undergraduate Admissions, the Assistant Director of Undergraduate
Admissions supports a culture of excellence by providing
outstanding customer service and visitation programs through the
Welcome Center, managing a team of regional recruiters.
The primary responsibilities of the position are:
Welcome Center and Office of Admissions Visitation Program
• Manages the day-to-day operations of the Welcome Center including
the daily visitor experience and recruitment programs, virtual and
• This position serves as essential staff during times of inclement
• Develops and improves processes to ensure quality customer
service to the public, to both internal and external
• Represents VCU to various constituencies to recruit and enroll a
talented and diverse student body, interacting with prospective
students and families daily while supervising professional and
• Serves as a liaison to prospective students, families, school
systems, teachers, and school counselors for the admissions process
including reviewing, evaluating, and counseling applicants and
prospective students based on their credentials and
• Plans, develops, and manages the Office of Admissions visitation
program which includes regularly scheduled visits, campus tours,
special events, information sessions, and targeted presentations
with staff in undergraduate, international, and graduate admissions
as well as partner departments to meet the strategic recruitment
goals of the University in coordination with the Events Coordinator
and SEM Communications staff
• Evaluates effectiveness of services and programs to identify
opportunities for improvement or unmet needs
• Manages the Student Ambassadors program including advising the
student organization and ensuring appropriate tour guide coverage
for daily and special programs
• Manages and supervises a team of regional recruiters that are
located off-campus to achieve recruitment benchmarks within the
assigned targeted regions
• Ensures recruitment activities utilize resources to best meet the
needs of the department and expectations for recruitment
• Represents VCU at assigned Admissions events outside the Welcome
Center such as receptions, open houses, college recruitment events,
and off-campus high school visits and programs
• May assign Welcome Center staff in support of other recruitment
• Manages assigned special projects to support the initiatives of
the Office of Admissions including but not limited to; admissions
file review, participating in strategic planning, and the
development and improvement of programs
• Support the Associate Director of Undergraduate Admissions by
providing information and representation at assigned meetings
• Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Hiring Standards
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Program Management, Education
Leadership or related field or equivalent training and/or
• Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
• Ability to handle multiple projects, tasks and activities and
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and
• Ability to supervise and train employees, as well as oversee an
office operation using excellent supervisory practices including
sound judgment, appropriate decision-making, and use of
• Ability to interpret and implement policies and procedures.
• Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
• Strong attention to details.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a
staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
• Master’s degree in Business, Program Management, Education
Leadership or related field.
• 3 or more years of supervisor experience.
• Experience working in an admissions or welcome center
• Experience working with a visitation program.
Required Licenses/ Certifications
Anticipated Hiring Range
Up to $55,000 commensurate with experience
Application Process/Additional Information
Monroe Park Campus
Normal Work Days/Hours
Job Open Date
Posting will close on or before
Open Until Filled
Is this a restricted position?
Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents
- * Do you have experience working with student populations,
particularly high school students?
- * Do you have experience with employee supervision?
- * Do you have experience training others?
- * Do you have experience making formal and informal
presentations in front of small and large groups?
- * Have you worked in a high volume customer service setting?
- * Please give us an example of when you have had to juggle
tasks and prioritize and explain the steps you took to do
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * Do you have event planning experience?
- Yes, small and large groups
- Yes, small groups only
- * Do you have experience working with student organizations?
- * This position will require that you work during some of VCU's
Winter Break. Will you be able to meet this requirement?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document