Student Recruiter 1-3
University Job Family
Academic & Faculty Affairs
For more information on ORP, visit:
Scope of Search
Is this employee on a H1B Visa?
Office of Admissions
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity,
service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A
premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as
one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to
work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported
and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave
package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an
opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Sign-on Bonus of $1,000
The VCU Office of Admissions for the Division of Strategic
Enrollment Management and Student Success is seeking a Transfer
Counselor. Reporting to the Senior Associate Director of
Undergraduate Admissions, the Transfer Counselor will be
responsible for actively recruiting transfer students from
community colleges by providing current information about VCU and
its programs, pre-enrollment course recommendations, as well as the
transfer application process to community college students,
faculty, and staff.
• Represent Virginia Commonwealth University ( VCU ) at various
student recruitment activities targeted to transfer students and
their families in community colleges.
• Plan, develop, market, and organize various recruitment
activities to meet the strategic enrollment goals of the
• Correspond with prospective students and their families including
managing electronic recruitment correspondence.
• Conduct individual in-person and tele-meetings with prospective
students, parents, and families to counsel them on the student’s
admissibility to VCU as well as their ability to be successful once
at VCU .
• Encourage campus visits as well as applications for admission and
maintain appropriate follow-up communication with these students
and their families regarding the status of their applications for
• Participate fully in the evaluation of applications and selection
of the incoming class including performing the necessary data entry
responsibilities for admission utilizing VCU’s CRM and student
• Work closely with the Office of Admissions leadership team to
contribute to a strategic plan that ensures VCU is making every
effort to attract and enroll a diverse student population from the
• Partner and maintain relationships with the VCU Transfer Center,
VCU program recruiters, and external transfer advising staff in the
community colleges to support recruitment efforts as needed.
• Join, and participate in, regional admissions and school
counselor associations to build solid working relationships.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Benefited, 12-month position with high volume activity.
Competitive health benefits, leave and retirement plans are
• Employee works from an office located at the J. Sargeant Reynolds
Downtown campus in Richmond, Virginia as well as at the Parham Road
campus. During the fall 2021 semester, the employee should be open
to working a hybrid remote schedule that will include an
alternation of working from home and from the Office of Admissions
on VCU’s Monroe Park Campus, if needed.
• Extensive and regular travel between offices, to VCU, and to
other community colleges is expected. Trips with total mileage
beyond 25 miles will be reimbursed, appropriate hotel and per diem
expenses will also be provided.
• Weekends, holiday, and evening work is common and expected to
meet the recruitment goals of the University.
• Covid-19 update: During the fall 2021 semester, the employee
should be open to working a hybrid remote schedule that will
include an alternation of working from home and from the Office of
Admissions on VCU’s Monroe Park Campus, if needed.
Minimum Hiring Standards
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and education.
• Experience in higher education, administrative, or
customer-service related areas.
• Demonstrated excellence in public contact and customer service
• Possesses finesse in building strong relationships with students,
families, school counselors and other stakeholders.
• Experience with public speaking; strong comfort level with making
presentations to large groups of people.
• Ability to work independently with minimum to no
• Unexpired Driver’s License, personal vehicle, and active car
• Ability to obtain and manage a VCU travel card.
• Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication
• Excellent critical thinking skills.
• Ability to work in and with a diverse population.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Working knowledge of MS Office software.
Preferred Hiring Standards
• Experience in college admissions or advising with a focus on
• Knowledge of VCU and the Virginia Community College System.
• Experience in compiling, preparing, and analyzing data for
• Experience with CRM, Banner student information system, and
• Experience with event planning.
Required Licenses/ Certifications
Anticipated Hiring Range
up to $42,000 + sign-on bonus
Application Process/Additional Information
Normal Work Days/Hours
Mon - Fri, 8-4:30p
Job Open Date
Posting will close on or before
Open Until Filled
Accounting/ Management/ Professional
Is this a restricted position?
Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents
- * Do you have a Bachelor's Degree?
- * Do you have experience working with student populations,
particularly transfer students?
- * How many years of college admissions recruitment or advising
experience do you have?
- * Have you worked in a high volume customer service setting?
- * Are you familiar with VCU departments and programs?
- * Do you have data entry experience?
- * Do you have or are you able to obtain a valid Virginia
driver's license and current car insurance?
- * This position requires occasional work on weekends, evenings,
and holidays along with frequent travel. Will you be able to meet
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document