Student Recruiter 1-3
University Job Family
Academic & Faculty Affairs
For more information on ORP, visit:
Scope of Search
Admissions Counselor, Latinx Community
Is this employee on a H1B Visa?
Office of Admissions
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity,
service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A
premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as
one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to
work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported
and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave
package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an
opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
Sign-on Bonus of $2,500
In the Office of Admissions within the Division of Strategic
Enrollment Management and Student Success, the Admissions
Counselor, Latinx Community position is part of a team that will
build and enhance the recruitment of new undergraduate students to
Virginia Commonwealth University ( VCU ) in Latinx communities to
meet the strategic enrollment goals of the University. The ideal
candidate has strong relationships and experiences and a proven
commitment to the Latinx community a passion for VCU and
encouraging students to pursue higher education, is willing to
travel extensively, and is excited to work in a dynamic, fast-paced
Primary responsibilities of the position include:
• Represent VCU at various student recruitment events and
activities for the assigned area or student base including
attending college fairs, career fairs, visits to high schools and
• Serve as a University liaison and provide exemplary customer
service and information about the University to prospective
undergraduate students, their parents, guidance counselors, and
• Plan, organize, and conduct information sessions, interviews, and
counseling sessions with prospective undergraduate students and
their parents to provide information about the University,
admissions processes, and university policies and procedures in
both English and Spanish.
• Evaluate data and applicant credentials for admission and counsel
prospective students on their admissibility and ability to be
successful once at VCU .
• Coordinate and implement recruitment strategies with a focus on
the Latinx market to attract new freshmen and transfer students
from assigned area or student base and work closely with other
• Respond to email, participate in virtual information sessions,
and make phone calls to perspective students to encourage campus
visits and applications for admission.
• Maintain appropriate follow-up communication with these students
and their families regarding the status of their applications for
admission and financial aid.
• Participate in other Admissions recruitment activities including
with campus partners and out-of-state.
• Maintain relationships with secondary school counselors,
community college counselors, and community-based organization
• Coordinates and participates in outreach activities to attract
new students from the Latinx community by establishing strong
working relationships with community organizations, family-oriented
groups, and other applicable sources.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Full-time, year-round position with high and low periods of
activity. Competitive health benefits, leave and retirement
• Extensive travel is required – Trips with total mileage beyond 25
miles will be reimbursed, appropriate hotel and per diem expenses
will also be provided.
• Weekends and evening work is common and expected including
working hours over winter break.
Minimum Hiring Standards
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent applicable experience and
• Fluent in spoken Spanish with the ability to provide public
presentations and written Spanish with the ability to correspond
for basic, typical business purposes.
• Has strong relationships and experiences and a proven commitment
to the Latinx community. Excellent oral and written presentation
skills in both English and Spanish.
• Ability to use Office products including PowerPoint.
• Ability to provide clear direction and establish efficient
• Enthusiasm to travel for extended periods.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• A current driver’s license and current car insurance.
• Ability to work some hours over the University’s winter
• Ability to obtain and manage a VCU travel card.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a
staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
• Experience in higher education, admissions, or recruitment
• Knowledge of VCU programs or prior VCU student.
• Previous customer service and public speaking experience.
Required Licenses/ Certifications
Anticipated Hiring Range
up to $40,000
Application Process/Additional Information
Monroe Park Campus
Normal Work Days/Hours
Monday - Friday, 8 am - 4:30 pm
Job Open Date
Posting will close on or before
Open Until Filled
Accounting/ Management/ Professional
Is this a restricted position?
Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents
- * Are you bilingual (Spanish-English), fluent in written and
- * Do you have a valid driver's license?
- * Do you have current car insurance?
- * Are you comfortable traveling for extended periods of time?
- * Are you able to handle working on multiple tasks at one time?
Do you have any college admissions recruitment
- * Do you have experience working with student populations,
particularly high school students?
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * This position will require that you work during some of VCU's
Winter Break. Will you be able to meet this requirement?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document