Alfred University Libraries Public Services Team's mission is to
provide students, staff, faculty and community guest users with
welcoming, inclusive and safe access to the library spaces and
collections. Public Services is responsible for opening, staffing,
and closing the building, and for user and staff safety and
security during regular and extended hours. The Evening/Weekend
Reference Assistant in an integral member of the team. Duties
include: providing courteous, friendly services; assisting patrons
in finding information; facilitating access to library resources
and borrowing activities; facilitating and supervising access to
Special Collections; implementing and modeling library policies and
procedures; training and supervising student employees; and
organizing and maintaining the circulating collections.
- Customer Service
- Acts as a library ambassador, offering information about
library services to guests, prospective students and the
- Assists patrons in using the library, locating materials and
overseeing the accurate circulation of library materials.
- Assists patrons in locating information for research needs by
teaching the use of library specific tools.
- Facilitates and supervises patron access to the rare library
materials in Special Collections.
- Supervises on-duty student workers and oversee their
performance and projects.
- Supports the Scholes Public Services Coordinator in training of
evening/weekend college work-study students.
- Supports the Scholes Public Services Coordinator to endure
adequate service desk scheduling and staffing.
- Attends and participates in periodic student worker group
trainings which may be scheduled outside of normal working
- Public Services
- Helps maintain the aesthetics and proper functioning of the
library public spaces and equipment and reports problems to the
Director of Libraries, Public Services Coordinator, ITS or
custodian as appropriate.
- Responds to immediate building or security issues by calling
Public Safety or the facilities after hours number.
- Assists Public Services Coordinator in circulation management
tasks such as tracking overdue notices, searching for missing and
lost items and retrieving request materials and processing for pick
- Supports the Public Services Coordinator through projects such
as Reserve processing, creating displays and acting as library
representative during evening/weekend programming in the
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Previous experience working in an academic or library
environment is preferred.
- Experience with college-level research and library use.
- A minimum of two years of work experience in a customer service
environment is required.
- Previous supervisory experience or a leadership role is highly
Alfred University actively subscribes to a policy of equal
employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any
employee, student or applicant because of race, age, sex, color,
sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, physical
or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin,
marital status, genetic information, military or veteran status,
domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction status,
political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by
applicable law. Protected veterans, minorities and women are
encouraged to apply.