Dean, College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
College Of Arts & Sciences
Department Contact Email
Job Summary/Basic Function
JOB SUMMARY :
Central State University ( CSU ), a public land grant institution
located in Wilberforce, Ohio seeks a dynamic academic leader to
serve as its next Dean for the College of Humanities, Arts, and
Social Sciences ( CHAS ). The Dean will report to the Provost, Vice
President of Academic Affairs and is a key member of the academic
leadership team. The selected Dean will be responsible for academic
activities in the college, including curricula, research,
assessment, supervision of department chairs, oversees existing
academic programs, fundraising, and leads the development of new
academic programs to meet society’s needs. The Dean will work with
other colleges and external organizations in integrating the
college plans with the university’s strategic plan. The Dean is
expected to be an active leader in their discipline and in the
greater society. The selected individual must have a profound
understanding and respect for academic values and culture.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
· Fosters a culture of engagement by including department chairs,
directors, faculty, staff, and students to discuss critical
collegiate issues and ensures a positive, high-quality working
· Leads strategic planning with faculty and staff about the future
academic directions of departments, programs, and the
· Establishes and maintains a student-focused vision and strategy
that includes measurable outcomes for student success through a
collaborative process including faculty, staff, student, alumni,
· Develops, promotes, and implements in collaboration with faculty,
methods and processes to increase acquisition of external grants
and contracts to enhance research and scholarly activities.
· Establishes a culture of assessment and continuous improvement in
the college leading to innovations in pedagogy and creative
opportunities in the pursuit of academic excellence by faculty,
staff, and students.
· Recommends faculty contract renewal, compensation level,
promotion, tenure, honors and awards, non-renewal or dismissal in
collaboration with the department chairs.
· Recruits and hires effective department chairs, faculty,
directors, and staff to ensure excellence in all college
· Provides professional development opportunities to increase
faculty and staff expertise in pedagogy and the use of technology
in traditional and online instruction delivery.
· Promotes the college globally as a leader in education, research,
· Raise private funds for scholarships, academic programs
infrastructure, and other college needs.
· Develops partnerships with K-12 organizations, other higher
education institutions, and non-profit organizations to support the
· Develops the budget and provides efficient fiscal administration
of college resources.
· Strengthens relationships with alumni and other partners to
support the CHAS’ mission.
· Candidates must have an earned doctorate in a discipline offered
within the College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences from a
regionally accredited university and be eligible for tenure as a
full professor in a discipline in a department within CHAS .
· The successful candidate must have a strong record of academic
experiences and have served in administrative leadership at or
above the level of chair or director.
· The Dean must be a collaborative, inspiring administrator and a
demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion, as well as a
commitment to student success, faculty development and program
· Experience in higher education and as an administrator with
demonstrated expertise in managing the financial, academic, and
research activities of a department or college.
· Participatory management and leadership style that encourages and
values input from others.
· Ability to develop and maintain productive relationships and
partnerships with on and off campus constituencies.
· Experience in program reviews, assessment and specialized
· An established record of demonstrating the recruitment and
retention of high-quality faculty and staff.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Successful experience in fundraising is desirable.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applications must include: (1) a letter of
interest; (2) a current vitae; and (3) at least three references
with full contact and email information. (References will not be
contacted without applicant’s consent).
Submit Application To:
Central State University’s website,
July 15, 2021, for best consideration. The
search will remain open until the position is filled.
Special Instructions to Applicant:
Final candidates are
subject to criminal and sex offender background checks. Central
State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all
employers to verify identify and employment eligibility of all
persons hired to work in the United States.
Central State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
seeking candidates committed to working in a diverse
Staff - Monthly (Exempt)
Budgeted Annual Salary
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have least five (5) years at the level of department
chair, assistant/associate Dean or other comparable experience.
- * What is the highest degree you hold?
- Completed all Doctorate coursework, but has not completed
- Master's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Assoicate's Degree
- High School Diploma or GED
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial Transcripts