Facilitates the implementation of projects in Department of
Information Technology (IT) utilizing IT project management methods
and procedures for effective project portfolio analysis and
resource allocation. Works closely with IT management and various
constituents, which includes University of Houston System component
universities and institutes, university departments, colleges and
divisions, in support of IT goals.
- Develops IT project plans utilizing IT project management
methods and procedures to ensure successful implementation of
projects, to include project charters, statements of work, business
case descriptions and other project planning documents.,
- Establishes and directs project management plans, activities,
tasks and project team members.,,
- Executes project plans utilizing IT project management methods
- Provides overall direction and guidance to assigned project
- Prepares activity, budget and other status and progress
- Participates in and assists other IT project management staff
with project activities.,,,
- Represents the university to external agencies and groups as
requested by appropriate management.,,,
- Performs other job-related duties as required.,,,
Additional Job Posting Information:
Position prefers the PMI Project Management Professional (PMP)
* Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) 30-Hour
construction safety class is a plus
• RCDD certification preferred.
• Must have a minimum of five (5) years of experience in
telecommunications or a related technical or construction
• Must have proven high skill level to interpret blueprints and
other project documents, including but not limited to,
specifications, reporting and quality requirements.
• Reviews construction plans from DD (Design Development) through
SD (Schematic Design) to CD (Construction Design) in collaboration
with the IT Subject Matter Experts (SMEs).
• Must be comfortable walking active construction sites on a weekly
basis to observe installation of telecommunications infrastructure
throughout the duration of the project.
• Facility/site experience for evaluating infrastructure, to
include blueprints, MDF/IDF layouts, plant fiber, riser (fiber),
station cabling, racks, wall mounting, power, space, and
• Knowledge of and experience with Outside Plant (including
trenching, duct and MH design, fiber, and high-count Telco cable)
is a plus
• Working knowledge of BICSI standards as well as the applicable
portions of NEC that apply to telecommunications
• Functional knowledge of IEEE standards for TCP/IP networking,
WiFi standards. Understanding of computing, networking, and
security systems, VOIP, wireless, Unified Communications, and
distributed systems infrastructure.
• Ensure that contract specifications and quality are following:
EIA/TIA 568-A, Commercial Building Wiring Standard, and the UH
Network Infrastructure Standards.
• Experience working with networking at a large higher ed
institution, medical or similar large-scale enterprise
• Manage projects and report weekly status to the director of
network services and SMEs.
• Oversee the acceptance, inventory, and storage of materials –
coordinate delivery of materials from storage location to the
installation site as required to meet the project schedule.
Bachelors and 5 years experience
Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical
aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or
the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline.
Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal,
directly job-related 4 year degree from a college or university or
an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is
directly related to the type of work being performed. Requires a
minimum of five (5) years of directly job-related experience.
Requires professional licensing, certification or registration
directly related to the job, as specified on a job description