Performs skilled culinary duties to professionally prepare and
market food items for the DSU Dining Services department. Assists
in the production of food for DSU Dining operations, including
Catering, Trailblazer Café, The Market, Concessions, Stacks,
Brooks’ Stop, and food pickups. Additional information about the
department is online at https://dining.dixie.edu/
- Perform daily hands-on cooking; coordinate aspects of the
production kitchen, analyze food production, and maintain records
for all production and planning of events.
- Monitor current developments and trends in the food service
industry for recipe development and merchandising. Develop menus
with consideration for cost, staffing and customer satisfaction.
Research and create new products and new preparation techniques to
further enhance the current mix of items. Plan menus based on such
factors as market trends, customer preferences and nutritional
- Collaborate with other supervisors to plan and refine menus.
Participate in menu development, special event planning and writing
seasonal and custom menus with management team.
- Standardize production recipes and specifications with emphasis
on food quality and presentation while maintaining budgeted food
and labor costs.
- Ensure proper packaging, labeling and storage of food products
to minimize waste. Strive to reduce waste and to optimize the
profitability of the department, ensuring cleanliness of production
and storage areas.
- Assist with purchasing, receiving, and storing of food and
supplies for production kitchen; assist with calculating food cost
and determining appropriate selling price.
- Assist in training and supervising culinary staff in the areas
of food preparation, presentation, quality customer service,
sanitation, and safety.
- Supervise employees in the dish room, front line servers,
production kitchen, and bakery production areas as needed and/or in
the absence of the executive chef. Assist in the development of job
performance standards and evaluation of part-time staff, with the
ability to motivate, inspire and influence culinary staff.
- Ensure production deadlines are met.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
POSITION DETAILS, COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- High school diploma or GED required; culinary degree and/or
college coursework preferred.
- Minimum of two years of production/chef-level experience in
food services required (a cooking demonstration will be required as
part of the interview process).
- Current certification in ServSafe required, or ability to
successfully complete course within six months of hire, and keep
- Current knowledge of food service practices and procedures,
public health standards, etc.
- Must be able to work variable hours as needed for campus
events, functions, and Dining Services’ needs.
- Good knowledge of tools and equipment used in institutional
cooking (Combi Oven, Blast Chiller, Steam Jacketed Kettle, Mixer,
Oven, Fryer, Grill, etc.).
- Highly motivated, self-starter, and able to multi-task.
- Good computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets, email,
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to exercise critical human relations skills in
establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with
employees, students, and guests.
classified staff (overtime-eligible) position. Annual salary of
$34,000 - $36,000, depending on qualifications & experience.
Desired start date of September 16, 2021. Excellent benefits
package included that begins on start date; includes medical,
dental, vision, employee assistance and wellness programs, life,
disability, retirement, undergraduate tuition waivers for employees
and eligible dependents, as well as paid holidays in addition to
sick and vacation leave accruals. See https://humanresources.dixie.edu/employee-benefits/
under 'Benefits Summary' for more details.
ELECTRONIC APPLICATION PROCEDURES:
Application review begins
August 16 , 2021 .
letter, resume, and contact information (including email) for three
professional references electronically. If, because of a
disability, you need special services or facilities in order to
apply for this opening, please call the Human Resources Office at
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY:
Dixie State University (DSU) is an
open, inclusive, comprehensive, polytechnic institution committed
to exceptional student learning and success. DSU has adopted an
instructional approach of 'active learning. active life' and a
culture of innovation and entrepreneurship. We seek faculty and
staff committed to creating an active, applied and career-oriented
learning environment that is student-centered. Established in 1911
as a community college and in 2013 as a state university, DSU is
located in picturesque southwestern Utah with its red rocks, desert
climate, over 300 days of sunshine annually, and featuring easy
access to world-class outdoor recreational opportunities. The
nearest metropolitan area is Las Vegas, NV (120 miles), with
amenities such as an international airport and professional
sporting teams. Click here to learn more about the University.
Dixie State University is a fast-growing Utah public institution of
higher education, with more than 12,000 students. We offer over 230
programs, including masters, bachelors, associates, certificates,
endorsements, minors, and/or emphases. DSU seeks to recruit and
retain diverse and ambitious faculty and staff who bring new ideas,
possess values and career aspirations aligned with the mission and
vision, and are inspired to build a premier open, inclusive,
comprehensive, polytechnic university. DSU is an Equal Opportunity
/ Affirmative Action employer; the President and employees of DSU
are fully committed to Affirmative Action and within its programs
and activities, including in admissions and employment, Dixie State
University does not discriminate or tolerate discrimination,
including harassment, based on race, color, religion, sex, national
origin, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, disability, status as a protected veteran,
or any other status protected by University policy, Title IX, or
any other federal, state or local law.
The following individuals have been designated to handle inquiries
regarding the application of Title IX and its implementing
regulations and/or DSU’s non-discrimination policies:
- Director of Equity Compliance / Title IX Coordinator: Hazel
Sainsbury - email@example.com , HCC 579, 435-652-7747.
- Deputy Title IX Coordinator: Abby Del Giacco - firstname.lastname@example.org ,
For further information regarding non-discrimination, please visit
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Assistant Secretary for
Civil Rights, email@example.com , 800-421-3481.
- U.S. Department of Education, Denver Regional Office, firstname.lastname@example.org ,
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required
to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and
to complete the required employment eligibility verification form