High Performance Computing Linux Systems Engineer
The University of Vermont (UVM) is looking for an experienced
Linux systems engineer / administrator to help build
state-of-the-art high performance computing (HPC) solutions for our
researchers. The VACC has three advanced clusters, with thousands
of compute cores and large-scale GPU clusters. We are preparing for
a major upgrade to our traditional CPU-based systems and are
planning the addition of a large-scale in-memory sharded database
cluster. Additionally, we are adding petabytes of IBM Spectrum
Scale (GPFS) storage.
We are looking for someone who can join our team and help
design, build, configure, and run the Vermont Advanced Computing
Core’s (VACC) cluster hardware and software. This position will
also help researchers effectively use the resources available, help
ensure faculty needs are being met, and recommend changes to
improve research services.
The University of Vermont, established in 1791, is located 90
miles south of Montreal between the Adirondack and Green Mountains
on the shores of Lake Champlain. Burlington, Vermont, a city of
50,000, is consistently recognized for its quality of life, from
four season outdoor recreation to cultural events. Given the
occasional hands-on nature of supporting this hardware, we desire
candidates who can come to our Burlington campus when needed.
UVM is a comprehensive research university comprising eight
schools and colleges, and offers its employees competitive
salaries, outstanding benefits including tuition remission, and a
superior academic workplace.
- Bachelor's degree in technology related field such as Computer
Science plus at least four years of systems experience in a
large-scale server environment, or equivalent level of knowledge,
training, and experience.
- Thorough knowledge of Linux operating systems, network
architecture and Linux shell scripting.
- Demonstrated experience deploying effective research computing
- Configuration management experience.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills, including system and network
- Effective customer service ethic, communication skills and
collaborative teamwork required.
Any of the following qualifications would strengthen your
- Experience with HPC technologies such as Slurm, parallel
computing, MPI programming, and CUDA.
- Experience with MongoDB in a sharded architecture.
- Low latency networking experience (e.g., Infiniband).
- Open OnDemand, Jupyter Notebook and supporting technologies
- Clustered filesystem expertise (e.g., GPFS).
- Expertise with at least one systems programming language (C,
Python, Perl, Rust, etc...) and software version control.
- Experience compiling, installing, and running open-source
- Experience working at an academic institution.
We may hire at either a senior-level position or a mid-level
position. For further information, or to apply with electronic
application, resume, and cover letter, visit our website:
The University of Vermont is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action Employer. Applications from women, veterans, individuals
with disabilities and people from diverse racial, ethnic, and
cultural backgrounds are encouraged.