Athletics Development Officer
Advancement and External Relations Division
This position is under the general supervision of the Vice
Chancellor for University Advancement and will work extensively
with a team of employees within the Division of University
Advancement, the UWL Foundation as well as UWL Athletics. The
development officer is responsible for securing private support
from alumni and friends of the University, as well as corporations
and foundations, to support the operational needs of the athletics
Description of College / Department / Program / Division /
The mission of the UWL University Advancement Division is to
strengthen relationships with University stakeholders and manage
engagement and fundraising activities to secure resources and
support for the University’s mission and vision. Advancement is an
integrated function of communications, alumni relations and
fundraising which coordinates images, messages and constituency
engagement activities to disseminate critical information, create
powerful experiences, and offer essential services to key
University Communications’ mission is to serve UWL by setting the
highest standards for its creative work using the power of words
and images to advance its educational mission. The office provides
campus news bureau and publication services, web design and
development, and social media support. Its primary responsibility
is to share information about the UWL with the publics who
influence our success including the campus community, alumni and
friends, current and prospective donors, and the local and global
community our campus serves.
Alumni relations, through the UWL Alumni Association, works to
create a lifetime connection with UWL by building and maintaining
relationships among students, alumni, friends and the
The Development Program, in conjunction with the UWL Foundation,
serves to maximize private gift support for the University. We
strive for philanthropic results through donor-centered service and
student-focused opportunities in order to enhance the academic
activities in instruction, research, education and public
Education: Bachelor’s degree.
1) Have strong verbal communication and listening skills plus
superb writing skills
2) Possess independent judgment
3) Pay close attention to detail
4) Manage complex tasks and meet deadlines
5) Have the ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic
6) Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Education: Master’s degree.
Other: Proficiency with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge a plus.
Experience: Three years of non-profit or higher education
Candidate must be able to travel via all modes of transportation.
Position requires significant time using telephones and
Working conditions and environment
Extensive local, regional and national travel required (average
5-10 days per month). Some evenings and weekends required as
Your benefits add an additional 40%+ to the overall financial
package from the university.
• 22 days of vacation for 12-month positions (that are
• excellent flexible health insurance with low co-pays and good
• paid holidays and sick days.
• sick leave may be converted at retirement to pay for health
insurance post-work at UWL .
• after 5 years of employment, you become vested in our retirement
system which ensures income post-career.
• benefits at UWL are highly competitive with local industry and
some of the strongest in state and nation.
Learn more at:
Benefit eligibility is determined at point of hire. This
information is provided for illustrative purposes only. Benefits
are also pro-rated based on the appointment percentage.
The University of Wisconsin System and the University of
Wisconsin–Madison are engaged in a redesign of job title and
compensation structures. The Title and Total Compensation Project
will result in relevant and market-informed titles to help us keep
and grow our outstanding workforce. If you are the successful
candidate, your title is subject to change in November 2021. For
more information, visit:
These are the job duties required for the position.
Responsible for an active gift solicitation program for Athletics
and serve as the UWL Foundation liaison with the department.
Duties to Support Responsibility
Percentage Of Time
- Assist coaches and athletics administrative staff in setting
fundraising goals for annual support, developing their prospect
list and executing fundraising activities.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the specific needs and
interests of each program to develop relationships between them and
- Model effective fundraising programs at peer and aspirant
institutions, including crowdfunding and Giving Day.
- Arrange and conduct L Club solicitations and activities.
- Participate in L Club Meetings.
- Assist the Athletic Director with Diamond Eagle fundraising
requests and activities.
- Assist the Athletic Director with fundraising activities
related to stadium suites and naming rights for athletics
- Coordinate and attend athletics fundraising events.
- Coordinate development activities with Athletics External
- Facilitate fundraising communication through all types of media
for athletics programs in partnership with the assistant athletic
director for media relations.
- Develop, coordinate and submit proposals to potential
- Maintain an updated portfolio of approximately 125 alumni and
- Travel on a local, regional, and possibly national basis to
identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors for annual, major
and planned gifts supporting athletics.
- Submit action reports to be stored in the Foundation’s database
- Track progress with donors.
- Write gift agreements.
- Complete any follow-up reporting as required in written
Coordinate alumni activities related to athletics
Duties to Support Responsibility
Percentage Of Time
- Assist coaches and athletics administrative staff in developing
and executing a program to retain engagement with alumni, parents
and friends (including department retirees).
- In coordination with coaches, develop a communication and
social media strategy to effectively keep alumni engaged with their
- Coordinate and attend campus, regional and national athletics
- Coordinate activities with the UWL Alumni Association
Assist University Advancement with special projects and all other
duties as assigned.
Duties to Support Responsibility
Percentage Of Time
- Serve as the lead contact with local community organizations
and corporations related to non-athletic contributions,
coordinating activities with the Athletics External Relations
- Aid in the development of stories highlighting athletics for
the alumni magazine, Foundation website, and other media.
- Maintain a visible presence on campus and at alumni and
- Work with the Foundation board when needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Posting Detail Information
Continuous Recruitment First Review Date
Position Contact Name
Position Contact Email
Optional DocumentsSupplemental Questions
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Reference Contact Information
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- The University of Wisconsin System will not reveal the
identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing,
except that the identities of finalists must be revealed upon
request. See Wis. Stat. §. 19.36(7).
- I wish for my name to remain confidential until the university
is no longer able to do so.
- I waive my right to keep my name confidential through the
- Are you currently under investigation or have ever left
employment during an active investigation in which you were accused
of sexual violence or sexual harassment? (Required under UW System
Administrative Policy 1275)
- Were you ever found to have engaged in any sexual violence or
sexual harassment in a previous work assignment? (Required under UW
System Administrative Policy 1275)
- Are you an alum of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse?
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Chronicle of Higher Education Web Site
- Discipline-Specific Publication/Web Site
- HERC Web Site
- HigherEdJobs.com Web Site
- Job Center of Wisconsin Web Site
- Minority Publication/Web Site
- University of Wisconsin - La Crosse Social Media (i.e.
Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter)
- University of Wisconsin - La Crosse Web Site
- La Crosse Tribune
- Personal Referral
- After you retire from a Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS)
employer, you may return to work with a WRS employer as a rehired
annuitant, provided certain requirements are met. There are no
restrictions on what type of position a rehired annuitant can hold.
Under the WRS, there is no limit to how much you may earn as a
rehired annuitant. (Learn more:
Are you currently collecting an annuity from the Wisconsin
Retirement System, (WRS)?
- Are you currently employed by or have you been employed by a UW
System institution or a State of Wisconsin agency during the last
seven (7) years? Please answer yes or no. If yes, provide the
institution or agency name, your supervisor and contact
information, including phone number and email address.
- Please provide your most recent employer, supervisor name and
contact information, including phone number and email address.
(Pursuant to UW System Administrative Policy 1275, UW System
requires reference checks related to sexual harassment and sexual
violence to be conducted at a minimum with a final candidate’s most
recent employer and with all previous UW System institution and
State of Wisconsin agency employers from the past seven years. UW-L
will notify you prior to contacting your supervisor).
(Open Ended Question)
- Will you now or in the future require visa sponsorship for
employment at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse? (UW-L and UW
System institutions pay for some or all of the sponsorship costs.
Some candidates may require an H1B or another form of employment
sponsorship to work in the US. This question is asked so that if
you are the successful candidate, Human Resources can work with
your work unit to begin the process of obtaining this visa).
- Yes, I will require sponsorship prior to employment.
- Yes, I will require sponsorship for continued employment if
- No, I do not require sponsorship and am eligible to work in the
- Are you legally eligible to work in the United States?