Lasell University in Newton, MA is seeking applications for the
position of Laboratory Manager for the School of Health Sciences.
This full-time 9-month instructor position includes lab management
and instruction (equivalent to 5 contact hours per semester). The
successful applicant will support all science courses and faculty,
and report to the Dean of the School of Health Sciences.
Given Lasell's commitment to fostering an intellectually enriching
and inclusive educational environment, our expectation is that the
successful candidate will demonstrate competence and sensitivity in
fulfilling their roles and interacting with students and employees
who are broadly diverse with regard to various aspects of identity,
such as race, ethnicity, ability status, socioeconomic status,
sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, nationality,
Lasell seeks faculty and staff who appreciate the value diversity
brings to a campus community and are eager to foster an inclusive
environment at the University. Employees who represent various
areas of diversity of our student body are key contributors to our
- Manage all general laboratory operations necessary to keep all
labs safe and up to code, including waste consolidation, room
maintenance, and hazardous and chemical waste disposal.
- Prepare all teaching labs prior to the start of the class
period. Ensure all materials and instrumentation necessary for the
lab are available, functional, and well organized. At the
completion of the class period, re-store all materials, properly
dispose of hazardous wastes and chemicals as necessary, and clean
all benches and equipment as required.
- Oversee all purchasing related to teaching labs and research.
In consultation with faculty, review vendors, negotiate discounts,
and obtain multiple quotes when necessary. Track orders and arrange
delivery to the labs. Receive and properly store all purchases.
Coordinate facilities, transportation, and logistics when new
equipment is installed.
- Oversee lab safety and regulatory compliance, including
tracking of all chemicals and hazardous materials. Enforce PPE
policies and laboratory safety rules.
- Ensure proper maintenance, repair, and calibration of lab
equipment. Schedule annual preventative maintenance, as required.
Coordinate annual testing and certification of biosafety
- Participate in school meetings and generate ideas for improving
safety and efficiency in the labs. Assist with the development and
revision of course laboratory manuals.
- Develop, implement, and manage record keeping systems for
service contracts and other documentation, such as packing
- Provide instruction for specific laboratory sessions utilizing
the college philosophy of connected learning (teaching and learning
support provided for instructors)Incorporate the use of Canvas
Learning Management System in all aspects of course delivery
- Maintain weekly office hours
- Provide laboratory assignments to students that clearly
communicate course content and requirements via Canvas Learning
- Provide timely feedback to students as defined by the Teaching
and Learning Guidelines established by Lasell's Teaching and
- Keep accurate records of student progress through the Canvas
- Work collaboratively with Science Program Chair and science
faculty on laboratory content, laboratory manual improvement, and
methods of delivery
- Minimum of Master's degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry
or related field. Prior college-level teaching experience, a
familiarity with online learning management systems preferred.
- Ability to work safely in an environment containing hazardous
materials and chemicals.
- Proficient in the MS Office suite.
- Ability to work well independently, as well as within a
- Strong organizational, time-management, and problem-solving
skills are required.
- Good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with minimal direction.
Ability to adjust workload as necessary, based upon changing
- Ability to work and service labs, faculty, and students.
Interested candidates should upload a letter of interest, resume
and the information of three (3) references using the forms below.
Review of resumes will begin immediately, and applications will be
accepted until the position is filled.
Lasell University requires all employees to be vaccinated and to
provide the documentation upon the start of employment. Lasell also
provides individuals the opportunity to request a medical or
Lasell University is committed to equal opportunity in every
aspect of hiring and employment. Lasell proactively reviews its
policies and practices to assure that decisions with respect to
every dimension of employment are made without regard to age, color
of skin, disability, gender expression and identity, genetic
predisposition, marital status, national origin, race, ethnicity,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran's status, status as a
victim of domestic violence, and all other protected groups and
classes under Federal and State Laws and executive