Director, Marketing & Communications
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 8/23/2021
West Valley College is seeking a talented individual who thrives in
a fast-paced and exciting environment to fill the position of
Director of Marketing and Communications.
West Valley College is a public community college located in the
heart of Silicon Valley. Our college is known for its innovative
approaches to teaching and learning, the strength of our academic
programs and faculty, and our friendly staff and supportive
This position manages the full range of activities related to the
Office of Marketing and Communications, with primary emphasis on
organizing, directing and coordinating the activities of the
marketing and communications department.
Under direction of the College President, this position will
implement strategic marketing, work with the media, provide public
information, develop college identity branding, and support
community and governmental relations to highlight college strengths
and position it favorably in a competitive environment. In support
of this purpose, this position also oversees graphic design and
college website development staff and provides highly complex staff
assistance to the President.
Applicants with experience working in a dynamic environment and who
understand the value of serving a diverse student population are
encouraged to apply.
This is a classified administrator position with an anticipated
start date of October 11, 2021. This is an exempt, management
position and is not subject to overtime.
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $144,930-$154,353 annually (Administrative Salary Schedule,
Range 21, Steps A-C).
- Annual salary step increases to maximum of salary range,
$180,681 (Administrative Salary Schedule, Range 21, Step H).
- Additional compensation: $1,500 for doctorate added to base
salary annually, to be prorated on a monthly basis.
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee,
spouse, and/or dependents.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Employer-provided life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid
non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 22 days vacation leave accrued annually (25 days after 5
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Professional development and renewal leave.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and
$1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the
required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to
obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic,
socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds,
disability, and sexual orientation of community college students,
faculty and staff.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or
university with major course work in marketing, journalism, digital
media, or a related field. A Master’s degree is desirable.
- Five years of increasingly responsible experience in marketing
and communication at a community college, including two years of
administrative and management responsibility.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit
our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
- Develop and implement department goals, objectives, policies
- Plan, organize, and direct college communications activities
including marketing, website, and graphic design.
- Direct, oversee, and participate in the development of the
marketing and communications work plan; assign work activities,
projects and programs; monitor workflow; review and evaluate work
products, methods and procedures.
- Prepare the department budget; assist in budget implementation;
participate in the forecast of additional funds needed for
staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; administer the
- Recommend the appointment of staff; provide or coordinate staff
training; conduct performance evaluations; implement discipline
procedures as required; maintain discipline and high standards
necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the
- Develop media contacts; write and produce a variety of
multi-media marketing products.
- Support college outreach efforts.
- Represent the department and division to outside agencies and
organizations; participate in outside community and professional
groups and committees; provide technical assistance as
- Research and prepare technical and administrative reports;
prepare written correspondence.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with
co-workers, other district employees, and the public using
principles of good customer service.
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity,
trust, and respect.
- Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility,
cooperation, and communication.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to
complete the application, testing or interview process, please
contact Human Resources at (408) 741-2174 to arrange for
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal