Student Government Coordinator (OPS)
- Florida Polytechnic University
- Florida, United States
- Salary Not Specified
- Posted Date
- Jul 28, 2021
- Position Type
- Administrative, Student Affairs, Disabled Student Services, Other Student Affairs, Student Activities & Services
- Employment Type
- Full Time
Located along Florida’s I-4 High Tech Corridor, Florida Poly opened its doors in August 2014 as the state’s 12th university and the only one dedicated to core subjects in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM education). The non-traditional academic environment focuses on applied learning, specifically in technology and engineering. Small class sizes give faculty the opportunity to work closely with high-caliber students, and the most advanced technology, including a Supercomputer, 3D printing lab, media lab and nanotechnology lab, sets Florida Poly apart from other state universities. Florida Poly’s innovative approach to higher education allows students to learn strong fundamentals within a traditional university department structure, while giving them opportunities to apply their learning through research and projects in emerging high-tech concentrations like Cyber Security, Big Data Analytics, Machine Intelligence and more. The University partners closely with industry leading firms, and faculty members are rewarded for more than just publishing. Industry involvement, problem solving, and the commercialization of technology and research through start-ups and small businesses are encouraged.
Student Government Coordinator (OPS)
Job Description Summary
The Student Government Coordinator serves as the advisor for Student Government Association (SGA). This position will include a combination of advising, planning, and purchasing to support the Student Government Association and Student Affairs. The position is a full-time, fixed-term, OPS position.
- Serves as a resource to Student Government Association through guidance and support in meetings.
- Attend meetings of SGA Executive, Legislative, Judicial, or affiliated organizations.
- Serve as lead reviewer of documentation submitted by Registered Student Organizations and Student Government Association.
- Understand and advise on university policies, paperwork, and guidelines.
- Assist SGA with internal operations, audit and budget process, recruitment, strategic planning, purchasing and annual trainings.
- Maintain oversight of all active contracts, services, activities, and events relevant to SGA.
- Collaborate with University Finance and the SGA Treasurer to assist in the management of the Student Government Budget in accordance with good fiscal practices.
- Directly support the purchasing and processing of goods and services.
- Assist with coordinating events, student travel and general oversight of student travel.
- Maintain a calendar of Student Government & Agencies events and meetings.
- Develop and maintain effective communication and working relationships with administrators, staff, faculty, students, and community members.
- Position may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong commitment to excellence in education and service
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities, to set and meet deadlines
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in learning styles.
- Proven ability to organize and host events
- Skills in effective and persuasive interpersonal communication skills to gather information, resolve problems, and assess situations
- Ability to coordinate major projects
- Preferred knowledge of the greater Lakeland area
- Preferred knowledge of issues, trends, policies, and best practices that are relevant to student government operations
- Earned Master’s degree in Student Affairs, Higher Education Administration, Human Resources, or a closely related field preferred.
- One to three years of experience in higher education is preferred.
- Weekend and evening hours expected upon notice.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- This position requires a criminal background check, which may include a Level II screening as required by Florida Statute §435.04.
- This position is subject to federal and state privacy regulations.
TARGET HIRING PAY: $17.54/hr.
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: The position is open until filled, however review of applications will commence immediately.
APPLICATION PROCESS: In addition to completing the online application, all Applicants are required to upload the following as an attachment to the application (preferably in PDF format):
- Cover Letter
Florida Polytechnic University is an equal opportunity/equal access institution. It is the policy of the Board of Trustees to provide equal opportunity for employment and educational opportunities to all (including applicants for employment, employees, applicants for admission, students, and others affiliated with the University) without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or genetic information.
Special Instructions Regarding Attachments:
Required attachments are listed on each posting. Please be sure to attach all required documents in the Resume/CV field before continuing through the application. Once your application has been submitted, no changes may be made and additional attachments will not be considered.
An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process. For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the application deadline.
All document(s) must be received on or before the closing date of the job announcements.
This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert