Located along Florida’s I-4 High Tech Corridor, Florida Poly opened
its doors in August 2014 as the state’s 12th university and the
only one dedicated to core subjects in Science, Technology,
Engineering and Mathematics (STEM education). The non-traditional
academic environment focuses on applied learning, specifically in
technology and engineering. Small class sizes give faculty the
opportunity to work closely with high-caliber students, and the
most advanced technology, including a Supercomputer, 3D printing
lab, media lab and nanotechnology lab, sets Florida Poly apart from
other state universities. Florida Poly’s innovative approach to
higher education allows students to learn strong fundamentals
within a traditional university department structure, while giving
them opportunities to apply their learning through research and
projects in emerging high-tech concentrations like Cyber Security,
Big Data Analytics, Machine Intelligence and more. The University
partners closely with industry leading firms, and faculty members
are rewarded for more than just publishing. Industry involvement,
problem solving, and the commercialization of technology and
research through start-ups and small businesses are
Student Government Coordinator (OPS)
Job Description Summary
The Student Government Coordinator serves as the advisor for
Student Government Association (SGA). This position will include a
combination of advising, planning, and purchasing to support the
Student Government Association and Student Affairs. The position is
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Serves as a resource to Student Government Association through
guidance and support in meetings.
- Attend meetings of SGA Executive, Legislative, Judicial, or
- Serve as lead reviewer of documentation submitted by Registered
Student Organizations and Student Government Association.
- Understand and advise on university policies, paperwork, and
- Assist SGA with internal operations, audit and budget process,
recruitment, strategic planning, purchasing and annual
- Maintain oversight of all active contracts, services,
activities, and events relevant to SGA.
- Collaborate with University Finance and the SGA Treasurer to
assist in the management of the Student Government Budget in
accordance with good fiscal practices.
- Directly support the purchasing and processing of goods and
- Assist with coordinating events, student travel and general
oversight of student travel.
- Maintain a calendar of Student Government & Agencies events
- Develop and maintain effective communication and working
relationships with administrators, staff, faculty, students, and
- Position may perform all or some of the responsibilities above
and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and
- Strong commitment to excellence in education and service
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities, to set and
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic
socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual
orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of college students, including
those with physical or learning disabilities as it relates to
differences in learning styles.
- Proven ability to organize and host events
- Skills in effective and persuasive interpersonal communication
skills to gather information, resolve problems, and assess
- Ability to coordinate major projects
- Preferred knowledge of the greater Lakeland area
- Preferred knowledge of issues, trends, policies, and best
practices that are relevant to student government operations
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR OTHER SPECIFIC
REQUIREMENTS OF LAW:
- Earned Master’s degree in Student Affairs, Higher Education
Administration, Human Resources, or a closely related field
- One to three years of experience in higher education is
- Weekend and evening hours expected upon notice.
NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- This position requires a criminal background check, which may
include a Level II screening as required by Florida Statute
- This position is subject to federal and state privacy
This position is hourly,
part-time/temporary (OPS), with a minimum 30 hours per week.
Availability on weekends and/or evenings may be required with
appropriate notice. Schedule will be determined upon hire.
TARGET HIRING PAY
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE
: The position is open until
filled, however review of applications will commence
: In addition to completing the online
application, all Applicants are required to upload the following as
an attachment to the application (preferably in PDF format):
Florida Polytechnic University is an equal opportunity/equal access
institution. It is the policy of the Board of Trustees to provide
equal opportunity for employment and educational opportunities to
all (including applicants for employment, employees, applicants for
admission, students, and others affiliated with the University)
without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex,
religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status,
veteran status or genetic information.
Special Instructions Regarding Attachments:
Required attachments are listed on each posting. Please be
sure to attach all required documents in the Resume/CV field before
continuing through the application.
Once your application
has been submitted, no changes may be made and additional
attachments will not be considered.
An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during
the application process. For positions requiring a degree, the
official transcripts are required upon hire.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States
require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript
evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an
accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached
with the application and submitted by the application
All document(s) must be received on or before the closing date of
the job announcements.
This position requires a background check, which may include
a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute