We are encouraging applications for a dynamic financial
professional to further LASP’s science mission by providing
coordination and support to individual programs as well as aiding
LASP faculty in managing sponsored research programs. This
professional will have a technology-first approach to solving
problems and optimizing processes. Duties include research,
selection, and compilation of financial data from multiple sources,
such as production, accounting, vendors, and subsequent analysis of
that data to produce business information used to support
decisions. Data are often difficult to obtain and may be diluted
with unnecessary data points. Identifies questionable data and may
then direct others in verifying the accuracy of data. Provides and
presents an executive summary of data results in a simplified
understandable outline. Work assignments are of the greatest
difficulty and largest financial impact. Provides work leadership
and direction to other professional and clerical staff with respect
to project approach and identification of project tasks. Decisions
may impact the effectiveness and efficiency of administrative and
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) develops,
designs, and builds instruments and spacecraft for space based
observations of the Sun, Earth, and planets. LASP has built
instruments and participated in missions to every planet in the
solar system. LASP manages the financial aspects for over 170
active grants and contracts, from proposal through the award.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
What We Can Offer
- Perform work of varied and considerable difficulty requiring
advanced data collection, analysis, forecasting, and compiling and
- Function as the Financial Program Analyst for multi-year
projects. This includes working closely with Engineering
Management, Principal Investigators, and other project partners to
provide financial data analysis, track costs, and to advise on
- Review research grants and/or contracts to ensure project
compliance with reporting requirements and identify issues as
- Apply knowledge of accounting principles, auditing standards,
budgeting principles, auditing standards, budgeting practices,
public administration, and/or legal and regulatory compliance.
- Interact frequently with program managers, functional managers,
and directors requiring a high level of communication skills to
analyze or resolve issues.
- Develop, interpret, and/or evaluate compliance with policies
- May impact policy and budget decisions at the department and
- Work independently or as a team member within existing
guidelines and policies.
- Provide peer assistance in a specialty area or serve as a
leader for a team or small work unit.
- Exercise considerable discretion and judgment in making
recommendations related to the allocation of funds, expenditures,
and capital investments.
- May conduct special financial and business related studies and
cooperates with other departments in the preparation of
- Consult with the program management on the benefits and impacts
of critical decisions.
- Other duties as assigned to facilitate continuity within
research programs at LASP.
The salary range is $81,500 - $93,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be encouraged. Be impactful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- Bachelor’s degree in business or a related field with 6 to 9+
years of experience or a master’s of business administration and 4
to 7+ years of experience.
- Understanding of the federal, state, and university guiding
What We Would Like You To Have
- Proven ability to research, investigate, analyze, reconcile,
and evaluate data.
- Able to generate financial statement reports for internal and
- Effective decision-making and accurate analysis of program use
of time, money, and resources.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Masterful organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
while under pressure.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in accounting or finance.
- Understanding of Business Analytics and Business
- Understanding of Microsoft Power BI.
- Understanding of Visual Basic (VBA) specifically for
- Understanding of SQL.
- Understanding of Deltek/Cobra or other project management
- Understanding of Earned value management.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue
until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: