General Maintenance Mechanic
POSITION TITLE: GENERAL MAINTENANCE
STATUS: Full time
DEPARTMENT: Facility Services
DIVISION: Administrative Services
UNION: Facility Services
REPORTS TO: Maintenance Superintendent
PLACEMENT: Buildings and Grounds Level 3A or 3B
MINIMUM PAY RATE: 3A $21.77 per hour
*Internal candidates (3B): Hourly rate is subject to the terms of
the current union contract.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity,
gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an
AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates
who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Responsibilities include the maintenance, minor repair, and up-keep
of plumbing fixtures and electrical devices and appliances in all
campus. Some minor carpentry work will be required. Displays
knowledge of safe operation of equipment while maintaining the
level of safety required and exhibited by JJC and OSHA
requirements. Assures assigned work is completed in a professional
efficient manner. Accountable for prompt, efficient customer
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Electrical distribution, troubleshooting, repair, and install
including: all voltages, up to but not including, 480 volts;
lighting, fluorescent, LED and H.I.D.; and exterior lighting.
2. Plumbing distribution & repair including: copper fitting and
sweating; black iron threading and assembly; lavatory repairs,
faucets and flush valves; and drain rodding and treatment.
3. Carpentry including: wood frame and metal stud construction;
drywall installation; door closures and locks and hardware –
including card access.
4. Interior/exterior painting and finishes including: drywall
repair; carpet and tile replacement.
5. Perform minor maintenance and repairs to small appliances such
as refrigerators, washers, dryers, freezers, ovens, etc. not
identified as a Special Maintenance responsibility.
6. Minor roofing repairs on built up and single ply
7. Assembly and repair of furniture.
8. Report all damage of interior or exterior campus facilities and
equipment to the Maintenance Superintendent
9. Assist in snow removal when necessary.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Working knowledge in one or more of the building trades as
2. Five (5) years working experience in building maintenance or
3. Basic familiarity with job duties listed above.
4. High school diploma or equivalent, plus additional technical
school or related on-the-job training.
5. Ability to move a maximum of 50 (fifty) lbs., climb ladders and
work in tight spaces. Willingness and ability to go up in an open
lift to a minimum of thirty (30) feet.
6. Ability to read and interpret blueprints and technical
7. Ability to work effectively independently or in a team concept
with people, courteous, dependable, able to follow both oral and
written instructions and work with minimal supervision.
8. Must possess and maintain a valid Driver’s License.
9. Must pass physical examination.
10. Eyesight at or correctable to 20-20. Hearing normal or
correctable to normal hearing.
11. Ability to operate power equipment such as: various hand tools
and their proper use; wrenches, screwdrivers, socket & socket
wrench, etc.; electrical test equipment; voltage test meter,
voltage detector, continuity tester, megger; drywall tools for
taping and mudding; sewer cleaning equipment both large and small
units; pipe threader both manual and powered also pipe wrenches;
power hand tools; drill, saw, grinder; powered tools; band saw,
drill press, table saw; pipe bender, sweat pipe; various type of
lifts powered & manual, platform, and scissors and articulated;
ladders, extension, rolling, and A-frame; drive pickup truck and
operate a power gate and all related equipment.
1. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, bend, use
hands to finger, handle, feel, reach with hands and arms, climb
ladders or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, see and hear,
push/pull equipment and supplies. Ability to lift, carry, stack and
maneuver objects on a regular basis with a maximum weight of 50
lbs. is required. Vision requirements include close and distance
vision and ability to adjust focus. Ability to work from a ladder
or power lift above ground to a height of 30 feet.
1. Work is indoors/outdoors. The employee must be able to work
safely in an environment containing caustic chemicals, cleaning
materials, dust and noise. Frequently required to work under
inclement weather conditions. The noise level in the work
environment is usually moderate and occasionally loud. Be willing
and able to go up in an open lift to heights of approximately 30
feet. Display knowledge of safe operation of equipment while
maintaining the level of safety required and exhibited by JJC and
OSHA requirements. Duties are performed indoors and/or outdoor
Full Time/Part Time:
Union (If Applicable):
For more information, click the "How to Apply" button.