The Dean of Students, as the chief student services officer, is
responsible for providing leadership and direction for the student
services. The Dean of Students coordinates college-wide student
services planning and management. Reporting to the Provost and Vice
President for Academic and Student Affairs and a member of the
President’s Executive Cabinet, the Dean of Students is responsible
for the offices of Campus Life (including Residential Life, Greek
Affairs, Student Government, Student Activities, Latino Resource
Center, African American Male Resource Center, International
Student Programs, Tempo Student Newspaper, and Campus Ministries.
Also, the Dean of Students oversees the student judicial process in
concert with the Office of Labor and Legal Affairs.
Essential Job Function, Duties &
• Acts as the chief student services officer of the
• Assures that student services is an integral part of University
Community and is supportive of the University’s mission, vision and
• Responsible for the formation of annual student services budgets
based upon predetermined need.
• Manages the student services budget and approves all
• Provides leadership and supervision for staff development in the
Student Services Division.
• Assists the Provost in recruiting, selecting, evaluating, and
recommending personnel for employment, assignment and retention in
the Student Affairs unit.
• Supervises all student organizations and activities.
• Serves as a member of the President’s Cabinet, Provost’s Council
and other assigned committees.
• Coordinates services offered through the student services program
with other divisions and departments of the University.
• Cooperates with the administration, faculty and students in the
formulation and implementation of policies related to student
conduct. This includes the review of all student discipline
problems in consultation with the Director for Student Judicial
• Provides in-service training for the student services
• Informs the Provost, Deans and University Community of all
significant student services related development.
• Coordinates the revision of the student handbook and other
student services forms and documents.
• Supervises the day-to-day functions of the unit.
• Assumes other duties as assigned by the Provost.
Under the leadership of President Zaldwaynaka Scott, Esq., whose
term began in July 2018, CSU has been committed to a
process of renewal and transformation. The President’s
student-centered vision focuses on the advancement of the
outstanding academic programs currently in place, as well as the
development of new, innovative, and relevant programs to meet the
needs of employers of the twenty-first century. Top priorities for
the President include an unwavering focus on sustainable enrollment
growth and student academic and career success.
Chicago State University (CSU), founded in 1867, is the oldest
public university in the Chicago Metropolitan
area. CSU is known for its impressive landscape, sitting
on 161 wooded acres featuring large tracts of open space and
beautiful trees. The campus is located near the
recently-renovated CTA 95th Street station, as well as
other transit systems that all provide commuter students, faculty
and staff convenient access to the campus. The University’s five
colleges—Health Sciences, Arts and Sciences, Business, Education
and Pharmacy— offer various undergraduate, graduate, and
professional degree-granting programs. The University also provides
the greater South Side Chicago community with a multitude of
athletic, cultural, educational and recreational activities.