Project Analyst 2
University Job Family
For more information on ORP, visit:
Scope of Search
Institutional Research Data Analyst
Is this employee on a H1B Visa?
Provost And VP Acad Affairs
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity,
service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A
premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as
one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to
work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported
and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave
package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an
opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The core responsibility of the Institutional Research Analyst will
be to support strategic reporting, institutional data and
information needs, and regulatory reporting. This is a University
Academic Professional appointment reporting to the Director
Intuitional Research in the office of Institutional Research and
Decision Support ( IRDS ).
The person in this position will:
• Regularly perform data extraction, manipulation, analysis, and
interpretation of findings/results to prepare institutional
responses to external and internal inquiries (“ad hoc” requests) on
a wide range of subjects – e.g. student admissions and enrollment
information, student persistence and success (retention and
graduation), student financial aid need analysis, personnel
planning including recruitment retention as well as attrition,
• Respond to federal and state reporting and to guidebook surveys,
national rankings and national studies by preparing accurate and
timely reports and/or data files.
• Provide institutional research data to academic units and
programs as well as administrative constituencies throughout the
• Collaborate on projects within IRDS along with other stakeholders
at VCU .
• Provide support with survey design, analysis and
• Seek and participate in continuing learning opportunities,
including topics such as SAS programming, data subject domain
knowledge and understanding, expanding data topics, and
University-level initiatives and information delivery efforts.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- Bachelors required with a major in statistics, mathematics,
economics, sociology, computer science or other quantitative social
- 2-3 years experience working in Higher Education preferably in
an Institutional Research Office.
- Experience in extracting, analyzing, and interpreting data from
variety of sources (information systems).
- Ability to draw conclusions and communicate data findings;
applying statistical principles and methods to meet a range of
information requirements; gathering and analyzing data and
generating statistical reports
- Experience (2-3 years) with statistical software tools/packages
such as SAS
- (preferred), SPSS, R etc. to produce high
- Demonstrated computer skills including knowledge and
familiarity with spreadsheets, programming languages, relational
databases and SQL .
- Extensive survey design and ability to analyze the results to
help support research questions and presentations.
- Familiarity with higher education data domains (e.g.
admissions, enrollment, financial aid, employee, finance,
development, sponsored research) in a university setting.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively
verbally and in written form.
- Strong organizational and documentation skills.
- Ability to take initiative when working independently and yet
work effectively in a team environment with people who have a
diverse array of experiences and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse
faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a
staff member at VCU .
Preferred Hiring Standards
• Masters degree preferred or the equivalent in training and work
experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree.
• Hands on experience with Data Visualization and Business
Intelligence Tools such as Tableau, Power BI, SASVA
• Ellucian/Banner experience.
Required Licenses/ Certifications
Anticipated Hiring Range
$60,000 - $65,000
Application Process/Additional Information
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible
to work in the United States. However, this position will not be
able to provide funding for employment sponsorship.
Monroe Park Campus
Normal Work Days/Hours
Job Open Date
Posting will close on or before
Open Until Filled
Is this a restricted position?
Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
Do you have a bachelors degree with a major in statistics,
mathematics, economics, sociology, computer science or other
quantitative social sciences discipline?
- * How many years of higher education do you have?
- Less than 2 years
- 2-4 years
- More than 4 years
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application