Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) Continuing Education (CE)
provides an immersive and innovative art and design education for
everyone, at all stages of life and all levels of experience. In
response to the Division’s enormous enrollment and geographic
growth, the College will launch a new initiative: RISD Expanded
Education (RISD EE), which will offer scalable, custom-crafte d
immersive learning experiences, multi-day initiatives, and a
diverse menu of short courses for corporate and nonprofit entities.
RISD EE will align with the core of our Strategic
, making a positive global impact through the power of
active inquiry, connected practice, and creative response.
RISD CE + EE seeks an Instructional Designer to work
collaboratively and cross-programmatically with CE Instructors,
staff, and Programs Managers to support instructors and optimize
teaching and learning through our learning management system
(Canvas) and other teaching and learning platforms in the
fulfillment of curricular goals in an arts and design context and
across a range of modalities (in-person, blended, and online).
Located in RISD’s Continuing and Expanded Education area and with a
dotted line to our Information Technology Services, the
instructional designer will also plan and provide training in a
range of instructional technologies and related pedagogies; apply
instructional design principles and best practices to improve
learning outcomes; and measure and analyze key metrics to improve
instructional quality. In coordination with IT Services, the
instructional designer is responsible for researching,
recommending, and developing strategies and technologies to support
teaching and learning for the non-degree academic programs.
RISD is committed to building a campus culture that advances
transformational justice, cultural humility and curiosity. As such,
we seek candidates whose professional practice is aligned with the
principles of sustainability, social equity and inclusion, and
equal access to resources and opportunity.
- Plan, design, and implement community training and other
- Review all online course content prior to course launch and
meet with instructors as appropriate.
- Train instructors on the use of tools and methodology for the
delivery of content and courses.
- Work 1:1 with CE and EE instructors to create video content;
tutorials and demos for all online courses
- Provide consultations to instructors regarding their
instructional technology goals.
- Research, evaluate and deploy new instructional technologies
that support instructors’ abilities to teach in a variety of
- Design and build Canvas courses delivered in and/or supportive
of all modalities - online, hybrid, and in person.
- Collect and report on key metrics related to learning
- Design and develop instructional materials for instructors,
students, and staff including video tutorials, online training
courses, and text-based guides.
- MA or MFA required, Ph.D. preferred or equivalent combination
of education and experience. Focus of study might include
Instructional Design, Education, Educational Technology,
Curriculum, Instruction or art and design, or related fields.
- A minimum of three years of experience designing and developing
- Demonstrated ability to provide high-quality instructional
design support (for face-to-face, online, and/or hybrid learning
contexts) using Canvas.
- Experience teaching at the college/university level. Experience
must include online/blended course design, curriculum development,
faculty/instructor development or other related area.
- Advanced skills in preparing media and web content.
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusive pedagogical practices and
an institutional mission dedicated to the success of a diverse
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and engage in
multiple tasks/projects simultaneously.
- Some experience with Panopto, VoiceThread, and other
third-party tools that integrate with Canvas preferred.
- Knowledge of the principles of universal design for learning
and accessibility requirements for ADA compliance.
- Preferred experience with external facing non-degree programs
in a highly competitive, fast-paced environment.
35 hours/week; 12 months/year
Full-Time; Regular Exempt.
Documents Needed to Apply:
Cover Letter (required)
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please upload
all required documents.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our
pre-employment background screening requirements.
For certain positions, RISD is currently supporting remote work
arrangements due to the pandemic. When work resumes in person,
employees are expected to perform work on campus.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its
learning community and integral to an art and design education. We
welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute
to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability,
veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by
For internal use only - Job Family: