Accounting Support Specialist (OPS)
Key Position Information:
- Administrative experience
- General accounting knowledge
- Microsoft Excel, Word
- Organizational skills
This class is the third of four levels in the Accounting Support
series. Incumbents reconcile, document and monitor financial data
for an assigned function or department. Responsibilities may
include maintaining effective accounting controls; confirming
compliance with contract language; resolving invoice discrepancies;
approving payments; verifying funding sources; training
non-accounting staff on accounting procedures; and performing the
duties of the lower levels.
High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
Four years experience in an accounting support function.
* An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient
to successfully perform the essential duties of the job may be
acceptable in lieu of those requirements listed above.
- Basic accounting principles and practices;
- Accounts payable/receivable principles and practices;
- General ledger reporting techniques;
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, and
- Data entry techniques;
- Mathematical concepts;
- Recordkeeping principles;
- Customer service principles;
- Training principles;
- Computers and related software applications.
- Balancing accounts;
- Reconciling financial records and information;
- Performing mathematical calculations;
- Applying applicable Federal State, and local laws, rules, and
- Maintaining records;
- Resolving account discrepancies;
- Providing customer service;
- Providing training to subordinate staff;
- Using a computer and applicable software applications;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction
with subordinates, coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc.
sufficient to exchange or convey information and to give and
receive work direction.
- Positions in this class typically require: reaching, standing,
walking, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and
- Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally
and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to
lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the
human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs
are sedentary if walking and standing are required only
occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may
Reviews, approves, and troubleshoots a variety of accounting and/or
financial transactions, which may include: accounts payable,
accounts receivable, billing, and related transactions.
Daily - 30%
Completes, tracks, and/or maintains a variety of records, logs,
ledgers, and files.
Daily - 20%
Posts financial information into appropriate accounts; creates
journal entries; reviews and resolves discrepancies of data
Daily - 10%
Monitors and maintains accounting activity compliance with
contract, internal, and external regulations.
Daily - 10%
Prepares a variety of accounting reports and other documents
related to assigned area of responsibility utilizing established
Daily - 10%
Provides training to lower level staff as necessary.
Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
To apply, visit https://web.spcollege.edu/hrapp/job/4521
The Board of Trustees of St. Petersburg College affirms its
equal opportunity policy in accordance with the provisions of the
Florida Educational Equity Act and all other relevant state and
federal laws, rules and regulations. The college will not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex,
age, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or against any
qualified individual with disabilities in its employment practices
or in the admission and treatment of students. Recognizing that
sexual harassment constitutes discrimination on the basis of sex
and violates this Rule, the college will not tolerate such conduct.
Should you experience such behavior, please contact Pamela Smith,
the director of EA/EO/Title IX Coordinator at 727-341-3261; by mail
at P.O. Box 13489, St. Petersburg, FL 33733-3489; or by email at