Welcome to Furman University's Career Site!
- IMPORTANT: Load all documents in the My
Experience area under Resume/CV. This may include your
resume/C.V., cover letter, unofficial transcript, teaching
philosophy, etc. Please wait for all documents to finish uploading
before clicking Next.
- If the process times out you will lose your progress, so please
ensure you have all necessary documents available before
- The drop-down lists only display so many options: please type
into a drop-down list to search for your option. For example: in
Field of Study, you may need to enter your field name. If you have
no field, type "None."
- If you have previously applied, make sure your information is
current as you can transfer it to another application.
- Prior to submitting your application, verify all information
for accuracy and ensure you have uploaded all appropriate
documents. Once submitted, you will not be able to edit your
application other than to change your contact information.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact the
Office of Human Resources via email at
by calling 864-294-2217.
Systems and Networks
The Systems Administrator is a professional member of Furman
University's Information Technology
Services Division, reporting to the Director of Systems and
Networks. The Systems Administrator,
provides skilled management of UNIX/Linux systems and servers, the
central university backup
system, as well as Domain Naming System/Service. The Systems
maintenance, changes, installations and upgrades to these systems.
Provides operating systems
consultation and support for user services to meet the needs of the
faculty, staff and students.
Provides programming support for the implementation and maintenance
of automated departmental
procedures. Provides technical expertise as needed for the
migration of the University email systems.
1. UNIX/Linux administration:
- Builds and installs systems as requested.
- Performs OS upgrades and patches
- Deploys, configures and monitors, software, security,
performance and reliability for
servers, including application servers, database and transaction
Consults with departmental academic specialists on OS and hardware
- Shell scripting
- Migrates applications/services to new
- Repairs and Recovers services due to hardware or software
failures. Coordinates and
communicates with impacted constituencies.
- Deploys and manages virtual machines in the management of
2. Manages day-to-day issuance of IP addresses, DHCP reservations
and DNS entries.
3. Maintains and manages Linux or UNIX-based server technologies,
- Web servers (Apache, Tomcat, etc)
- Digital certificates (mod_ssl, openssl, Windows, etc)
- Application servers
- Operating system updates
4. Administers university backup system:
- Performs OS upgrades and patches
- Installs and configures backup client and server software
- Jointly responsible for backing up of all critical campus-wide
information systems daily,
using both full and incremental backups and approved tools and
- Accurately logs all backups
- Secures and stores Backup data in accordance with University
- Consults on backup needs of the university
- Assists in the restoration of systems and data
- This backup requirement and/or restore of critical files is a
24/7 responsibility, and
incumbent is expected to provide said service on demand.
- Maintains up to date backups, retention policies,
documentation, and backup integrity
5. Provides experienced patch management of Linux and Windows based
systems as required
6. Participates in on-call duties or after-hours work required to
support enterprise needs.
7. Provides backup support to other team members
8. Collaborates with Academic Specialists for OS and integration
expertise in support of academic
and faculty needs.
9. Maintains current and up-to-date system logs and procedure
10. Maintains current skills necessary to assume primary and
11. Applies state-of-the-art technology to meet requirements and
improve system operations.
12. Manages implementation and renewal of SSL certificates.
13. Completes performance review process with supervisor to
understand job performance
expectations and how they fit into the department and university
14. Pursues professional development to keep pace with demands for
information; including maintaining up to date information about the
department and university.
15. Performs other duties as required.
Daily contact with members of own work unit, immediate supervisor,
and members of other
departments to plan, coordinate, problem solve, present
information, and make suggestions
related to mutual goals.
Frequent contact with student employees, other departmental staff,
liaisons, faculty and staff to
plan, coordinate, problem solve, present information, and make
suggestions related to mutual
Occasional contact with faculty and students to plan, coordinate,
problem solve, present
information, and make suggestions related to mutual goals.
Occasional contact with software and hardware vendors and retirees
to exchange factual
information and explanation of rules, regulations, practices or
Responsibility for Final Decisions:
Tasks involve multiple procedures with interrelated processes or
steps. Work involves choosing
the appropriate option or procedure to follow and applying
established rules and procedures.
Errors may be detected within the department or section in which
they occur, but may affect the
work of others within the unit to trace errors and make
Reports To: Director of Systems and Technology
Work is performed independently except where the interpretation of
law, policy, rule, complex
procedure or request for exception is required.
Bachelors Degree preferred with 3-5 years experience in related
5 years experience managing Linux in enterprise networked
environments including Bind
DNS, CentOS 6+, RedHat OS, shell scripting.
Extensive experience deploying and managing physical and virtual
machines including VMware
3 years experience integrating directory and user authentication
systems including Microsoft
Active Directory, SAML and more.
5 years experience in a multi-user Linux/UNIX operating environment
utilities, system management tools and SAN/NAS storage
5 years experience preferred managing web servers and digital
certificates for Linux based
3 years experience deploying or administering Apache, Tomcat,
Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to
work well both independently
and as a member of a team.
Ability to work collaboratively with faculty, administrators, staff
Work is performed under usual office conditions.
Job Posting End Date (if date is blank, posting is open
To apply, visit https://furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Furman_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Systems-Administrator_R000798
Furman is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing
the diversity of its faculty and staff. The University aspires to
create a community of people representing a multiplicity of
identities including gender, race, religion, spiritual belief,
sexual orientation, geographic origin, socioeconomic background,
ideology, world view, and varied abilities. Domestic partners of
employees are eligible for comprehensive benefits.