Faculty Part-Time (Microbiology)
Full Time or Part Time
Fixed Term/Tenure Track
Hiring Salary Range
Salary Commensurate with Degree
Job Description Summary
The instructor is responsible for the coordination, planning,
preparation, presentation, and evaluation of classroom instruction
and related activities during the day, evening, or weekend via
instructional delivery formats to include face-to-face, hybrid,
online, and remote. Face-to-face and hybrid classes may be offered
on any Prince George’s Community College campus. The instructor
must remain current in the discipline area and continually explore
teaching methods and strategies to engage learners, organize and
plan instructional content that accommodates diverse learning
styles, and devise appropriate assessment tools that monitor
student learning outcomes. The instructor is also responsible for
participating in related activities to include professional
development, academic advising, curriculum design.
- Master’s degree and accreditation from recognized college,
university or national, state, or regional organization.
- Degrees are applicable only if earned at accredited
institutions and verified with official transcripts.
- Pertinent professional experience may be substituted for the
master’s degree at the discretion of the Vice President.
CRITERIA : The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria
used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the
applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process.
Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application.
Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed
below for this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Plan, organize, and teach curriculum content in conjunction
with course outcomes.
- Using applicable technology and pedagogical principles, teach
course content via an appropriate delivery format to include
face-to-face, hybrid, online, and remote instruction.
- Complete mandated institutional trainings and professional
development trainings related to content discipline and
- Facilitate appropriate instructional activities that promote
student engagement and learning.
- Evaluate student performance using assessment tools that align
with established course objectives and outcomes.
- Create and administer assessments that monitor student progress
and provide timely student feedback.
- Provide an orientation at the first-class meeting to include an
overview of the course syllabus. The overview should include an
outline of course objectives, requirements, attendance policy,
grading system, textbook(s), and supplemental materials.
- Notify students of key academic dates and course adjustments,
maintain an up-to-date, electronic grade book, and enter final
grades by the established due date.
- Maintain accurate records and submit class records (as
appropriate) to the Department Chair or Program Coordinator by the
established due date, and participate in the departmental
evaluation and course assessment process.
- Maintain office hours, advise students, and refer students to
- Adjunct faculty are expected to respond to student emails and
phone calls within 48 hours with the exception of weekends and
holidays. Faculty are expected to maintain regular communication
with students and should exclusively use the assigned PGCC
- Attend all required meetings.
- Perform all other duties as directed by the Department Chair,
Program Coordinator, or designee.
- Remote and Online teaching.
- Technology skills and computer literacy.
- Critical thinking, organization, and conflict management .
- Communication and interpersonal skills.
- Research skills.
- Time management.
- Planning and organization.
- Problem-solving and analytical ability .
Is Background Check Required?
- Degree from an accredited institution.
- Documentation of experience and performance required.
- Unofficial transcripts must accompany application for teaching
positions. Official transcripts of academic work required upon an
offer of employment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Special Instructions to Applicants
Submit a cover letter of interest, a detailed resume/cv listing
qualifications and experience. Applicants should fully describe
their qualifications and experience, with specific reference to
each of the minimum qualification and criteria listed because this
is the information on which the initial review of materials will be
Candidates for teaching positions who are invited for an interview
may be asked to do a teaching demonstration.
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a
safe campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following best describes your level of completed
education? (Education details must be included in your
- Master's Degree or above from an accredited
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university
- Associate's Degree from an accredited college/university
- One to two years of college credit (30 credit hours is
equivalent to one year)
- Less than 30 credits from an accredited college/university
- High School Diploma or GED
- None of the above
- Do you have teaching experience at the college or high school
level, in area of concentration, or significant professional
experience relevant to the teaching area?
- Please describe in detail the extent of relevant teaching
(Open Ended Question)
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Curriculum Vitae
- Certifications - See Minimum Qualifications for type