Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University’s Prescott, Arizona campus is
hiring an Interior Designer to support the Campus Operations
Department. Embry-Riddle's Prescott Campus is respected worldwide
for cutting-edge instruction and training for tomorrow’s aviation,
aerospace, security and intelligence leaders. Prescott is a
mile-high city and its climate reflects seasonable weather
excellent for flying. Daytime averages are 80°F in the summer and
45°F in the winter. At 5,000 ft. above sea level, it boasts a mild
climate, clean air, pristine wilderness areas, and nearby national
forests. The university is a small, private, residential university
in the mountains of Arizona with approximately 3,500 students.
Staff/faculty/student interaction is highly valued and is a central
theme of our campus. It is located 100 miles north of Phoenix and
120 miles south of the Grand Canyon.
The Interior Designer position is responsible for collection and
analysis of program data in order to develop sound, cost effective
interior design and space planning solutions for the Prescott
Campus as assigned. Drawings and construction documents (Request
for proposals) shall be produced to convey such designs to
contractors and furniture dealers as needed. Projects will include
new construction and rehabilitation of University properties.
Furniture and finish specification and coordination of installation
will also be required for some projects. An electronic as-built
record copy as well as associated CAFM data for all campus
buildings shall be maintained.
1. Prepares construction document sets sufficient to convey design
intent using computer-aided software (AutoCad by AutoDesk, Inc.)
The version of the software will be determined by Embry-Riddle
Aeronautical University (ERAU). Works with Manager of Interior
Design & Planning and Project Manager to develop a Scope of
Work (SOW) for each project.
2. Assists in the review of construction documents prepared by
others. Must possess a strong working knowledge of Architectural
and Interior Design construction and finish methods for design and
3. Assists in the development and maintenance of the computer
system and archive data files for the Planning and Construction
4. Maintains digital campus mapping and record system for buildings
and campus. Updates and maintains existing building drawings,
campus utility mapping, campus mapping, University Standards Manual
and building plans. Works with consultants (Architects, MEP
Engineers and Land Surveyors) to provide information used in the
design & construction process.
5. Provides electronic as built drawings of campus facilities for
use by contractors during construction of rehabilitation projects;
researches existing/archival drawings, surveys job site and makes
determination and/or computations to produce construction
originals; assists Project Manager in on-site inspections to assure
that the quality of work is being performed as contracted during
the construction process; may provide direction to contractors;
prepares plans and reports on area size and usage of various
University properties; prepares rough drafts of specifications for
6. Meets weekly with Manager of Interior Design for Campus
Operations, Prescott Director of Facilities Management, Project
Manager and Financial Analyst to review all current and proposed
project status. Prioritizes projects for weekly production of plans
to meet deadlines. Updates project spreadsheet after meeting adding
data acquired and provides a copy to Manager of Interior design and
planning, Project Manager as well as retaining one copy for
7. Organizes and maintains archive record drawing files and project
manuals, product literature and Interior Design office files.
8. Maintains a current working knowledge of new products and
techniques by reading and attending seminars applicable to Design
in Higher Education.
9. Maintains an electronic copy of ERAU Space Book (Space
Management & Planning) plans and photos as a campus catalog and
planning tool. Provides a PDF annually (late Spring/Summer) with
new photos of recently completed projects, space usage, etc.
10. Calls or uses online method to prepare AZ BlueStake 811 utility
notification for any digging or earthwork. Daily move AZ Bluestake
Daily Audits and Contractor files from prfacmgt.edu emails Inbox
into prfacmgy BlueStake folders.
11. Maintains electronic archival plans in PDF format on the shared
drive for use by all ERAU personnel. Only one working copy of
electronic files will be used as primary drawing file. PDF’s of
plans can be made and copied into multiple directories or to
individuals as necessary. As new PDF’s are made, then all locations
of that file should be replaced with the revised file The old
version of the floor plan will be kept in an archive
12. Maintains all interior/exterior signage on plans and suggest
placement, replacement or relocation as deemed prudent.
13. Takes before and after photos for each project and stores them
in the appropriate electronic project folder.
14. Use ERAU sub-meter handheld Trimble GPS unit to locate any
field marked utilities by utility locators prior to construction
and edit Utilities Mapping per data collected. Download collected
data points from IPad tablet using Trimble Connect software to
Desktop. Use 3rd party AutoDesk Spatial Manager software to import
points into ERAU campus base map CAD file after points have been
prepared in an XYZ format. Connect all points into line work
representing utilities marked by utility locators. Maintain CAD,
PDF and plotted campus utilities mapping.
15. Looks for and identifies areas within campus that may be of
need of improvement, i.e.. storm water drainage system, pedestrian
or vehicle conveyance system, vegetation/landscaping, safety,
esthetics, furniture, building room arrangement. Utilize campus 7
& 20 year plans when considering campus improvements and
16. Has knowledge of the use of Arizona State Building code and
standards (ADA, NFPA. IUBC), and other building code manuals in the
design process. Refers to ERAU Campus Standards for specific campus
17. Provides Facilities Management personnel with plans, operation
manuals and close-out documentation as requested.
18. Works with other campus departments to attain and provide
information pertinent to each project. (network support, grounds,
19. Uses AiMCAD AssetWORKS software to export (and update) each
building plan into the database with building and room square
footage to be used in asset management. AiM User Guide Space Module
is used as a guideline. All exported data is coordinated with the
ERAU Systems Manager.
20. Follows ERAU AutoCAD Procedures Manual for all specific daily
functions in the production of plans and documents. Update Manual
21. Provides space planning services and quotations from furniture
dealers to end users for furniture, fixtures and equipment as
requested via the AIM work order system.
22. Provides quotations from signage vendors for building,
monument, wayfinding and interior signage as necessary.
ERAU benefits include:
- Retirement Plan - ERAU offers immediate vesting and provides a
6% gift and will match up to 3.5% of employee contributions
- Two BC/BS health plans – PPO and high deductible plan with a
health savings account
- Tuition waivers for employees, spouses, and dependent
- Use of various campus services: fitness center, library, mail
room and enjoy observation flights
Associate’s degree or completion of program of 18+ months after
high school. Area of study:
A minimum of one to three years of work related experience.
Required skills, knowledge, abilities:
AutoCAD software, Microsoft Office, Building systems knowledge,
Knowledge of Commercial Furniture & Building Finishes