The Administrative Specialist oversees the day-to-day
administrative operations of the Academic Affairs Business
Operations department. Supervises assigned support staff to fulfill
administrative responsibilities of the department.
The Administrative Specialist for Academic Affairs will provide
administrative support to the Director, Academic Affairs,
Administration, and Budget. Provides administrative support to
include maintaining schedule/calendar, screening telephone
communication, greeting and directing visitors, and dealing with
administrative problems and inquiries. Tracks and maintains faculty
files according to guidelines and requirements set forth by the
State, university, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
(SACS), and other governing bodies. Assists with Faculty processes
such as Promotion, Sabbatical, and Evaluations.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and
maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which
students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social
activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life
reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that
practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate
expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students
to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently
diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic
and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender
identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural
traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives
to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just
because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our
University stronger. The University community recognizes the
importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these
ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and
inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to
apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow
and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Provides administrative support to include maintaining
schedule/calendar, screening telephone communication, greeting and
directing visitors, and dealing with administrative problems and
- Completes transfers, reconciles expenditure transactions,
maintains internal accounting records, and other transactional
duties related to fiscal administration.
- Fulfills purchasing requirements for assigned area, researching
items and obtaining price quotes, entering information into
university systems, receiving purchase orders, maintaining P-Card
information, and reconciling purchases.
- Establishes and maintains systems for administration of records
for the area, including electronic files, records, and
- Supports employment administration and human resources
processes, serving as a point of contact with the central HR
department. Administers appointment paperwork requirements for
department employees. •Fulfills administrative requirements for
employment searches within area of responsibility.
- Tracks and audits department leave records and employee time
- Prepares and approves payroll certifications. Reviews and
reconciles payroll registers and updates pay distribution.
- Arranges and coordinates travel for department staff, faculty,
and incoming guests and speakers.
- Composes and prepares written documents and correspondence for
the office, including memos, letters, presentations, and
- Prepares special spreadsheet reports and presentations as
needed. May prepare brochures or update department web site
- Provides transactional maintenance of funds and accounts for a
unit or department.
Additional Job Description
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Four years of relevant full-time administrative support
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience,
and/or certifications may be considered.
- Experience operating a personal computer and proficient with
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in an
appropriate area of specialization.
- Work experience in a higher education setting.
- Experience with Ellucian Banner, Workday, Cognos, and
- Knowledge of general office procedures.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting procedures and
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and
complete simultaneous projects when numerous and diverse demands
- Ability to operate personal computers with proficiency and
learn new applications and systems.
- Ability to accurately prepare and maintain records, files, and
- Ability to work successfully as both a member of a team and
independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with a diverse
group of staff, faculty, students, and the community in a
- Ability to think critically and creatively, have a high
standard of integrity, and be motivated to incorporate best
practices into the organizational structure.
- Ability to effectively manage the work of others by providing
information, guidance and motivation.
- Ability to interpret and apply laws, regulations, policies and
- Ability to analyze and solve problems, draw valid conclusions,
and/or develop appropriate alternatives where applicable.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity
of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and
$15.32 - $16.74 an hour ($32,000- $35,000
FGCU is an EOE AA /F/Vet/Disability Employer.