The Facilities Services - Maintenance department
applications for two (2) Groundskeeper I’s
to join their
team on campus. The position of Groundskeeper I for the Grounds
Maintenance Department within Facilities Services is responsible
for general landscape maintenance, horticulture/floriculture,
landscape installations, turf maintenance operations, basic
arborist tasks, and hardscape maintenance.
General Maintenance Operations Duties:
- Performing turf maintenance operations including: mowing,
dethatching, line trimming, aerating, topdressing, and
- Performing landscape maintenance, i.e., assisting with
landscape installation, mulching, weeding, assisting with tree
planting, digging and trenching, and general clean-up of trash and
- Performing turf establishment, sod installations, horticultural
procedures, flower planting, and snow removal.
Equipment Operation Duties:
- Operating the following equipment: various riding mowers,
tractors with various implements, dump trucks, side by side utility
vehicles, and snow removal equipment.
- Performing preventative and minor maintenance on small
landscape equipment and hand tools.
- Operating walk-behind mowers, rototillers, leaf blowers, chain
saws, sod cutlers, chippers, snowthrowers, etc., and miscellaneous
hand tools is required.
Arborist Operations Duties:
- Ability to learn and perform the functions of a grounds person
in arboricultural operations. This includes: chipping brush, basic
rigging, jobsite clean-up, and assisting arborists as needed
- Ability to establish multilevel, verbal and written,
communication with co-workers, contractors, student organizations,
trades workers, faculty, staff, and visitor as necessary.
- Must possess fundamental computer literacy - required to log
data on general office systems format.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to pass a pre-employment Functional Capacity Exam to
demonstrate ability to lift, twist, crouch, push, pull, ascend and
descend ladders, etc.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in any and all-weather
- Individual must be a punctual and motivated self-starter with
an eye for detail.
(Qualified candidates must be able to meet minimum requirements and
perform the primary functions of the position with or without
reasonable accommodation.) (FROM FJD, “Critical Physical
Physical Screen will be administered prior to a final offer of
- Lifting: Ground to 60 inches, up to 50 lbs. Ground to 30
inches, 80 lbs.
- Carrying: Front carry up to 75 lbs. for 10 feet or less.
- Pushing and pulling forces required (pushing and pulling
materials, and during the use of tools): 100 lbs. sustained.
- Repetitive squatting on both even and uneven surfaces.
- 3-minute overhead work from various positions (standing,
crouching, or kneeling).
- Static forward bending from a standing, crouching or kneeling
position while using tools.
- Trunk rotation from a standing or kneeling position.
- Balancing when climbing and working on a ladder.
- Walking various distances, continuously, throughout the day on
even and uneven surfaces.
- Use of various grip circumferences and strengths as well as
static grip positions during the use of various tools (4 1/2" to 5
1/2" circumference needing an average of 50 lbs. of grip force) and
while manipulating various work materials (maximum 100 lbs.).
Minimum Required Experience
- High School diploma and two (2) years’ experience in
landscaping, turf maintenance, or arboriculture or an equivalent
combination of education and experience.
About Facilities Services and UM
- Knowledge of and experience in utilizing hand and power tools
associated with landscape maintenance
- Snow removal and ice mitigation experience
- Experience in landscape maintenance equipment operation e.g.,
Mowers, Tractors, aerator etc.
- Knowledge of, and ability to identify a variety of landscape
The mission of the Grounds Maintenance Department of Facilities
Services is to provide complete landscape services, arboricultural
services, facilitate campus landscape installations/renovations,
and to perform maintenance services that enhance the entire
University of Montana experience. Our Department is responsible for
providing a safe environment, while maintaining a high degree of
aesthetic quality, and providing for the functional use of the
external campus environment for visitors, and the entire campus
The University of Montana is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to
the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are
particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad
spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in
demonstrating its five priorities for action
: Place student
success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation
in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of
“mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly
tell the UM story.
Nestled in at the base of Mount Sentinel and on the banks of the
Clark Fork River, UM campus is described as one of the most
beautiful in the US. The region boasts unparalleled year around
recreational opportunities and a vibrant arts and culture
community. UM offers a unique opportunity for professional growth
in a magnificent environment. The University of Montana offers
eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively
separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs
and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
UM provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual
curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and
teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop
professionally. Located in the heart of western Montana’s stunning
natural landscape, UM attracts first rate teachers, researchers,
and students from around the world. A city within a city – with its
own eateries, stores, medical facilities, banking and postal
services, and zip code – UM has an increasingly diverse population
and rich culture.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the
State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Groundskeeper I
Position Number: 087110; 087010
Facilities Services - Maintenance
Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday
through Friday 6:30 am to 3:00 pm (Summer hours 6 am – 2:30 pm), 12
Six months minimum
Benefits Include :
Insurance package, mandatory
retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of
Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for
this position will be subject to criminal background
investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference
accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with
disabilities. For example, this material is available in
alternative format upon request. As an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications
from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may
request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with
state law. References:
References not listed on the
application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to
the applicant. Testing:
Individual hiring departments at UM
may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to
essential job functions. Employment Eligibility:
Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility
verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally
required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Priority Application Date: Sunday, August 15, 2021
by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Complete applications received by the ‘Priority Application Date’
will be guaranteed consideration. The position will remain open
until filled. Candidates are required to submit the following
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and
experience related to the stated required skills for the position.
A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or
“Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work
- Professional References – names and contact information
for three (3) professional references
Montana, United States