Assistant or Associate Professor in Computer Science
Appointment Type: Faculty
Summary of Duties and
The Department of
Computer Science in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at
Iowa State University in Ames, IA seeks outstanding applicants for
a tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor.
We are looking for candidates in all areas of Computer Science who
complement and expand our current research strengths, including but
not limited to, broad areas of artificial intelligence, computer
vision, machine learning, and natural language processing.
The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and
sustaining a strong research program; developing collaborative and
interdisciplinary research; publishing in top venues; supervising
outstanding graduate students; teaching undergraduate and graduate
courses; and enhancing ISU through professional and institutional
service. We are interested in exceptional candidates that can
expand our research profile in new research areas.
We are seeking candidates who share in our mission of achieving
excellence through diversity and inclusion. In the Department of
Computer Science, and at the University as a whole, we translate
the values of diversity and inclusion into action by seeking a
diverse faculty and by seeking individuals who have experience
working with diverse students, colleagues, staff, and
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree in computer science or a closely
- Publication in top tier venues.
- Demonstrated ability to enhance the following ISU strategic
research areas: artificial intelligence, machine learning, AI
decision theory, foundations of machine learning, algorithmic
foundations for data science, and algorithmic game theory.
- In addition to the above, appointments at the rank of Associate
Professor must provide evidence of excellence in scholarship that
establishes the individual as a significant contributor to the
field or profession, with potential for national distinction.
- Evidence of a strong publication record in top conferences or
- Demonstrated ability or potential to develop a high impact,
externally funded research program.
- Demonstrated ability or potential to excel in teaching at the
undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Demonstrated ability or potential to mentor research of
undergraduate and graduate students.
- Demonstrated ability or potential to engage in professional and
institutional service and leadership.
- Evidence of ability to work effectively with diverse student,
faculty, and staff populations.
Number of Months Employed Per Year: 09 Month
Time Type: Full time
Application Instructions: To apply for this
position, please complete an electronic application at this
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete
the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Application/Cover Letter
- Contact Information for Three Professional References
Additional Required Applicant Materials:
- Statement of Research Interests
- Statement of Teaching Interests and/or Philosophy
- Statement of Diversity and Inclusion
- Email Contact Information for Three Referees to Provide Letters
Please attach documents 4-7 in the additional required documents
If you have questions regarding this application process, please
email firstname.lastname@example.org or call
515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485. For guaranteed
consideration, please apply before the application deadline of
January 13, 2020.
Iowa State University is
an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, genetic information, national origin, marital status,
disability, or protected veteran status and will not be
discriminated against. Inquiries can be directed to the Office of
Equal Opportunity, 3410 Beardshear Hall, 515 Morrill Road, 515
294-7612, email email@example.com