The Graduate School at the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB),
Support, Advocacy, Freedom, and Empowerment (SAFE) Center for Human
Trafficking Survivors is seeking applicants for a full-time Senior
Lecturer/Lecturer, non-tenure track, 12-month appointment as a
Managing Immigration Attorney
. Senior Lecturer/Lecturer
appointments are long-term, renewable contracts and are eligible
for promotion. Rules governing such appointments are located at
The Managing Immigration Attorney
, dedicated to the SAFE
Center’s mission, will provide expert legal immigration counsel and
advice, coordinate legal services delivery, supervise and empower a
talented legal immigration team, help grow and expand the practice,
and provide direct trauma-informed immigration legal services. This
position requires a balance of supervision, management, and direct
representation of clients. This position operates within a
multidisciplinary services context and interacts with the SAFE
Center’s social services, clinical services, and economic
empowerment teams on shared matters.
The mission of the SAFE Center is to provide survivor-centered and
trauma-informed services that empower trafficking survivors to heal
and reclaim their lives, and prevent trafficking and better serve
survivors through research and policy advocacy. Our mission is
grounded in social justice and active efforts to fight systemic
racism which is a root cause of human trafficking. The SAFE Center
provides social, legal, mental health, and economic empowerment
services to survivors of sex and labor trafficking of any age,
nationality, or gender. We provide comprehensive legal immigration
representation from affirmative petitions to removal defense, often
through adjustment of status and naturalization. We also coordinate
with low bono
attorneys who specialize in areas we do not
provide in-house, such as a family law and consumer debt issues.
More information is available on the SAFE Center’s website at
This position is located in College Park, Maryland.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation
days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health
insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for
employees and their dependents at any of the University System of
In the Fall of 2021, UMB will require all faculty, staff, and
students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical
or religious reasons will be processed through Human
Legal Services Coordination and Program Management
- Work with leadership and legal team to review SAFE Center legal
immigration services protocols, policies, and procedures related to
intake, case distribution, timelines, trauma-informed practices,
case opening and closures, file maintenance, referrals to low bono
and pro bono attorneys, multidisciplinary team meetings, and other
relevant matters. Develop new protocols where needed, with input of
legal and multidisciplinary teams, and manage new protocol rollout
- Ensure delivery of high quality legal immigration services and
compliance with all ethical and professional rules.
- Facilitate legal team coordination with SAFE Center social
services, economic empowerment services, and behavioral health
services for holistic client care.
- Identify and assist in developing partnerships with volunteer,
pro bono, and low bono attorneys
- Work with the team to identify needs that can be filled by law
student interns, and assist team with intern recruiting and
- Help establish benchmarks for measuring impact of legal
- Coordinate input for grant proposals and grant reporting for
program funding, including Equal Justice Works and other legal
- Keep SAFE Center leadership and teams apprised of changes in
immigration law and policy and their effect on SAFE Center clients.
Adapt legal immigration program as necessary in response to changed
policy and evolving community needs.
- Oversee organization and maintenance of client files and timely
collection and accurate input of data.
Supervision and Professional Development
- Provide broad-based immigration advice, counseling, and direct
legal representation to clients in immigration legal matters
including T and U visa applications, asylum and withholding of
removal, special immigrant juvenile status, removal defense, and
related immigration relief.
- Represent clients before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration
Services, the Executive Office for Immigration Review, the Board of
Immigration Appeals, and the U.S. Department of State.
- Advocate with Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and other
branches of law enforcement in requesting continued presence,
deferred action and advanced parole/ humanitarian parole when
- Align with legal partners for broader strategic initiatives
such as civil litigation, impact litigation, and filing of amicus
- Supervise, encourage, and empower a team of dedicated and
talented legal professionals.
- Consult and advise on complex legal and client issues,
especially issues at the intersection of immigration and criminal
matters, as well as civil legal matters.
- Assist the team with managing caseloads, particularly during
high-work/low- bandwidth periods, by helping to order priorities
and set deadlines.
- Facilitate team meetings to assess referrals, open and assign
cases, coordinate and discuss case progress, and address
- Advise leadership on new resources, memberships, etc. needed by
team. Find and encourage opportunities for professional
Law degree from an accredited U.S. law
Current bar membership in good standing in any
state in the US or District of Columbia. Membership in the Maryland
Bar is preferred but not required.
Minimum five (5) years of experience providing
direct legal immigration services, and minimum two (2) years
managing a legal services practice or team.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Expertise in all relevant areas of immigration law. Mastery of
immigration relief eligibility and removal defense
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to establish
priorities and meet internal and external deadlines.
- Excellent research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Ability to adapt legal skills to changing legal environment;
facility in acquiring new subject expertise.
- Ability to apply critical thinking skills to anticipate and
find the source of challenges, and propose and advocate for
effective solutions. Committed to creative problem solving.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including a positive,
cooperative, affirming, and professional demeanor, with SAFE Center
colleagues, staff, university officials, partner organizations,
clients, grantors, and other stakeholders.
- Ability to work as an effective team member in a
multidisciplinary setting. Demonstrated cultural competency and
experience working with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated experience in helping attorneys and other legal
professionals to develop professionally and acquire increasing
levels of expertise and responsibility.
- Experience and commitment to working with clients who may have
complex trauma and a variety of legal, social services, and other
- Ability to demonstrate, understand, apply, and adhere to the
UMB Core Values of Accountability, Civility, Collaboration,
Diversity, Excellence, Leadership, and Knowledge.
- Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred.
- Established relationships with legal services providers in the
area a plus.
Commensurate with education and
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race,
color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran
status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or
policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the
Staffing department at HRJobs@umaryland.edu
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a
disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), during
any part of the employment process, please submit a
UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request
. You may also contact
Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for
reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email