AmeriCorps Technical Assistant - Grant Funded (PT)
$15.00 - $18.00 per hour DOE
This is a grant-funded position. Grant-funded positions expire
either at the end of the stated term or whenever funding for the
The part-time AmeriCorps Technical Assistant works collaboratively
with the Mohawk Valley YouthBuild grant-funded project team to
build the youths’ leadership skills. Assists youth in the
YouthBuild program with all construction related programming,
including certifying students with a nationally-recognized
credential. Provides youth of diverse backgrounds and from the
high-needs population of the City of Utica with rigorous academic
instruction, occupational skills and training and viable pathways
to college and careers.
- Works with program participants on “hands-on” projects and
provides conceptual and experiential training opportunities within
the local community;
- Supervises program participants at the construction worksite to
ensure that program participants are following safety
- Able to work independently to accomplish work related
- Attends necessary trainings that benefit the YouthBuild program
- Participates in project planning and decision making as part of
the construction team;
- Works with local employers and union representatives to assist
trainees in passing union tests and enrolling in apprenticeship
- Works with dedicated construction site’s timelines to complete
projects in a timely manner with or without active
- Partners with local agencies on special events and
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of the
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- High School Diploma or High School Equivalency (HSE) Diploma
with a minimum of one (1) year of recent construction related
experience preferred or no High School Equivalency, but actively
seeking HSE with two (2) years’ recent experience in the
- Recruitment and social engagement skills.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Must possess a strong commitment to assisting youth succeed in
an innovative training program to reorient their lives, nurture
their leadership skills and enable them to make a difference in
- Ability to establish rapport and relate sensitively to a
multiracial and multicultural group of youth.
- Must be understanding of the issues facing youth in the
community and a willingness to learn from our youth.
- Must be team-oriented and with a non-judgmental attitude.
- Some travel is required for this position. A valid driver
license is preferred.
- A successful three-part background check is required to fill
transcripts required upon hire.
Review Start Date:
Mohawk Valley Community College is an Affirmative Action,
Equal Opportunity Employer deeply committed to a community of
excellence, equity, and diversity. MVCC maintains an inclusive
learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators,
staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other
aspects of campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and
global worldview. We value the many similarities and differences
among individuals and groups. We are committed to preparing
students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in a world
made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds,
military backgrounds, religious beliefs, socio-economic status,
cultural traditions, different abilities, sexual orientations and
gender identities. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, veteran status or on the basis of