Under general supervision of the Assistant Directors of Budget
Management mentorship from principal, senior, and fellow budget
analysts, the Budget Analyst supports budget-related financial
management, reporting, and analysis for the University of Colorado.
The Budget Analyst serves as a part of the Budget & Fiscal
Planning team, works with fellow team members to improve the
quality of budget management and reporting, serving individuals,
departments, and leadership within the larger campus
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Budget & Fiscal Planning partners with academic and
administrative leaders, coordinates campus-wide budget and fiscal
planning and identifies and facilitates the allocation of resources
vital for the Boulder campus to excel as a major educational and
research university. Through collaboration, we connect ideas,
resources and decisions that drive the university’s success.
Budget & Fiscal Planning is a part of the Budget and Finance
team within the Finance and Business Strategy (FBS) division. Our
office collaborates with campus partners to ensure the University
of Colorado Boulder has a strategic, systematic, and comprehensive
approach to all areas of business and financial management.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
The Budget Analyst will assist in the development and provision of
timely, often ad-hoc, reports, queries and financial management
information to support analysis and decision making, and will
compile comprehensive analysis, presentations and financial studies
of key revenue and expense variables, along with integrating peer
and standard methodology information for comparative purposes. This
Financial Reporting and Analysis:
Forecasting and Modeling:
- Provide structured and sophisticated reporting, data expertise,
and technical assistance. Develop and produce reports, queries and
financial management information to support analysis and
- Contribute to the preparation of monthly reporting for senior
management on budget, forecast, and financial metric
- Assist in the development of financial management reports and
analyses in support of decision making with regard to campus
- Identify, recommend and implement reporting and process
improvements to enhance data quality and support management,
department and customer requirements and goals.
- Create reporting and data analysis methodologies; develop and
document reporting and data management policies and procedures;
develop and maintain data standards and corresponding documentation
and organization of electronic files.
- Identify data sources and collect data for and prepare ad-hoc,
monthly, quarterly and annual reports ; validate data and review
reporting to ensure accuracy and consistency.
- Prepare detailed reports for senior analysts to assist with
supervising the annual operating budget and one-time investments,
linking funding to outcomes, strategic goals and financial
- Determine the financial consequences of changes in legislation,
programs, or activities affecting University finances and
functional area resources.
- Design modeling and reporting to forecast and supervise sources
of revenue, including student tuition and fee revenue, ICR, General
Administrative & Infrastructure Recharge (GAIR), and revenue
from auxiliary operations.
- Synthesize analyses, findings and standard methodologies into
measurable recommendations, supported by proven evidence.
What We Can Offer
- Provide budget support to campus business and financial
- Design and deliver presentations and analysis the educate
partners on key financial issues and opportunities, facilitating
informal or formal dialogue toward strengthening financial
management, reporting and planning.
- The hiring pay range for this position is $60,000 to
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits
, including medical, dental,
retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The
University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in
Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education
environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder
Be Active. Be Enlightened. Be Boulder.
What We Require
What You Will Need
- At least a bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of
education and experience may substitute.
- At least 1+ years of professional, job related experience.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Word.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be organized and able to appropriately prioritize
responsibilities in a high -pressure environment.
- Demonstrates ability for self-direction and initiative, as well
as ability to work independently and as part of a team, to address
- Ability to research problems and to suggest creative
- Fluency and confidence in communicating to and with a variety
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university in
finance, business administration, or other related field.
- Proven experience developing detailed and summary reports to
present financial or financial-related information.
- Previous experience with forecasting and modeling
- Professional work experience in a public university, community
college, or state agency associated with higher education.
- Experience with the University of Colorado's financial system
(PeopleSoft FIN) and HR system (HCM) or related enterprise
- Demonstrated proficiency with database software and
sophisticated knowledge of spreadsheet software.
- Experience extracting information from data warehousing
To apply, please submit the following materials:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and
responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by August 9, 2021, for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: