The Instructional Designer supports the pedagogy initiative for the
Center for Teaching, Research & Learning (CTRL). This position
aligns with CTRL’s mission of inspiring, mentoring, and celebrating
faculty by facilitating the innovative and evidence-based
approaches in teaching, research & learning. Responsibilities
include providing one-on-one consultations and workshops and
researching and promoting emerging pedagogical innovations. This
position is responsible for conducting one-on-one consultations and
group trainings for AU faculty (tenure-line, term, and adjunct). In
addition, the position serves, as appropriate, as a liaison to
other university offices at AU, and to build working relationships
with educational leaders in relevant fields at relevant
professional organizations at other colleges and universities. This
position will work directly with key CTRL staff members, the
Provost’s Office, and relevant staff and faculty advisors.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Provide one-on-one and group consultations with faculty,
develop and hold workshops to assist faculty in all aspects of
teaching including, but not limited to, syllabus development,
aligning learning outcomes with assessments, and incorporating
innovative and evidence-based pedagogies.
- Collaborates with AU faculty members to design and carryout
faculty-driven projects related to teaching, research &
- Promotes inclusive pedagogy and universal design in learning in
teaching, research & learning.
- Creates, manages, evaluates, or participates in additional
projects and/or initiatives enhancing use of emerging trends in
teaching, research & learning.
- Collaborates with staff in CTRL in the design, development, and
implementation of training initiatives, events, and programs
related to teaching, research & learning.
- Researches, learns to use, and creates recommendations on
emergent educational technologies, online learning trends and
innovative pedagogical practices related to teaching, research
& learning. Explores and pursues opportunities for external
funding for initiatives within the position’s portfolio.
- Conducts evaluation of initiatives in which the position has
played a lead role.
- Supports the recruitment, hiring, scheduling and performance
evaluation of 2–5 part time student consultants.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience
- Full time
- Project Leader/Advisor B
- This is a union-eligible position. The union-eligibility of
individual position incumbents will be determined based on the
incumbent’s employer of record.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's degree
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- 5-8 years of relevant experience
- 2+ years working across disciplinary boundaries in
instructional design or faculty development settings (such as in a
teaching and learning center)
- Strong understanding of, and familiarity with, the science of
learning and evidence-based educational practices, including
inclusive pedagogy and Universal Design for Learning
- Excellent project management, organizational, interpersonal,
and oral/written English skills
- Experience with Learning Management Systems and other teaching
- Desire to maintain professional competence and continued skill
development through participation in appropriate conferences and
professional development opportunities.
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful
completion of a background check.
- To ensure the health and safety of our community AU requires
COVID-19 vaccinations for faculty and staff. Click here to learn
more about our health and safety directive.
Current American University Employees:
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at
American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU
portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which
will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University
careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and
regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy),
age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal
appearance, gender identity and expression, family
responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran
status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases
under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its
programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: