Adult Basic Education Adjunct Faculty
Full Time or Part Time
Fixed Term/Tenure Track
Hiring Salary Range
Job Description Summary
The Adult Basic Education adjunct faculty reports to the Adult
Basic Education Program Director and is responsible for creating a
classroom environment that develops in each student the reading,
analytical and critical thinking, writing, and math skills that are
fundamental to life and work, and in preparing for the GED®
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 2 years of adult education teaching or tutoring
experience strongly preferred
- Master’s degree and/or teaching certification preferred
CRITERIA : The following criteria, which are not the sole criteria
used in the final hiring decision, will be used to review the
applications of those persons who meet the stated minimum
qualifications and to select those qualified applicants who will be
interviewed. Other information and observations made during the
interview process may be considered in the selection process.
Resume/CV and cover letter are required with the application.
Please ensure that your documents address the criteria listed
below for this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Align classroom instruction with the program curriculum and
- Prepare lessons incorporating activities that augment
- Prepare and submit lesson plans according to program
- Monitor students’ progress using formative assessments.
- Maintain an appropriate classroom environment.
- Track and manage students’ attendance.
- Assist students with their education and transition goals.
- Participate in student intake and testing, as needed.
- Work with the program staff to assure quality instruction.
- Meet the program’s mandated participation in professional
- Participate in team meetings, as necessary.
- Comply with program requirements for paperwork, observations,
- Regularly check and respond to emails through college email
- Other instructional duties, as needed.
- Deliver lessons in multiple formats as needed (in-person,
- Ability to apply principles of Adult Learning Theory into
- Experience with College and Career Readiness Standards,
- Experience with standard Adult Education assessments,
- Experience creating and implementing quality lesson plans.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytic and critical thinking skills.
- Strong computer literacy and demonstrated computer skills.
- Patience, flexibility, and ability to work with diverse adult
- Experience working with diverse populations
Is Background Check Required?
- Must be available to work Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.
to 4:30 p.m. Work schedule subject to change based on the needs of
- Ability to communicate effectively in spoken and written
- As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present
acceptable documentation showing your identity and that you are a
U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.
Open Until Filled
Background Check Statement
Special Instructions to Applicants
Prince George’s Community College is committed to providing a safe
campus community. PGCC conducts background investigations for
applicants being considered for employment. Background
investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record
check, education verification, and when appropriate, a financial
(credit) report or driving history check.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following best describes your level of completed
education? (Education details must be included in your
- Master's Degree or above from an accredited
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university
- Associate's Degree from an accredited college/university
- One to two years of college credit (30 credit hours is
equivalent to one year)
- Less than 30 credits from an accredited college/university
- High School Diploma or GED
- None of the above
- * Do you have a minimum 2 years of adult education teaching or
tutoring experience? Briefly explain.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- HigherEd Jobs
- Hispanic Outlook
- Personal Referral
- PGCC Website
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook)
- The Chronicle of Higher Ed
- The Washington Post
- Other: Please indicate below
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity? If you
selected 'Other' please indicate source:
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1