Intentionally cultivates a welcoming and inclusive environment for
staff and all (Phillips Center, University Auditorium, Baughman
Center) visitors. Ensures accessible, fair, and equitable treatment
for everyone in our diverse and valued team.
The Director of Advancement will serve as the chief fundraiser for
University of Florida Performing Arts (UFPA) and will provide
strategic direction for a comprehensive fundraising program in
partnership with the Director of UFPA and the Assistant Vice
President of Development. The incumbent will be responsible for
identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major and
principal gift level individuals, corporations and foundations as
well as Endowment development, annual giving, planned giving,
corporate sponsors, and special events. The Director of Advancement
will serve on the senior leadership team of UFPA as well as a
manager and mentor for the development team.
Portfolio Management/ Fundraising
- Develop, activate, and deliver on a collaborative fundraising
plan with UF Foundation that addresses the needs of each
prospective donor, segmented by type (individual, corporate,
government, foundation), level (donor levels, various major gift
levels, planned giving), and fund (unrestricted annual operating
and restricted for specific purposes, including programming,
capital and endowment).
- Identify the best people to help pursue the top prospects, help
schedule meetings and/or cultivation/solicitation events and
provide guidance and strategy.
- Independently perform identification, cultivation and
solicitation of major gifts prospects where gifts are assessed at
$25,000 and above.
- Strategically manage relationships through face-to-face visits,
following best practice and steps to identify, learn donor passions
and align interests with UFPA priorities.
- Develop and present major gift proposals, acknowledge and
recognize gifts appropriate to the policies and procedures of the
UF Advancement (UFA).
- Build and nurture effective working relationships with alumni,
parents, friends, volunteers, board members, and staff.
- Coordinate all donor solicitations in accordance with the UFA
and work to engage staff in appropriate activities to increase
awareness of opportunities related to grants and individual
solicitations to benefit prescribed funding needs of UFPA. This
position requires significant travel by automobile; maintaining an
acceptable driving record that meets insurance requirements as well
as an active Florida driver license, in order to meet this
- Responsible for all development budget goals. Create and
maintain reports on progress against fundraising goals. Create and
maintain reports on progress against fundraising goals and
objectives to the director and leadership team, other development
staff, and UFA.
- Organize a departmental plan of work to achieve all annual
operating and future campaign goals, coordinating and balancing
UFPA’s multiple fundraising initiatives and programs.
- Evaluate staff, develop a strong sense of teamwork, and
establish an environment of mentoring and support. Maintain
cohesion to the department.
- Strive to create an inclusive and accessible environment for
all, promote and sustain diversity in the workplace in all its
- Effectively manage the unit development office including:
managing using talent management best practices in alignment with
UF Advancement's vision, mission and values; ensure best practices
in office systems, files and record keeping; ensure effective use
of strategic tools and resources such as contact reports, prospect
management, research, and analysis, and the Advance database.
- Utilize the resources for best practice in fundraising.
Coordinate with the Director on oversight of Advisory Board of
Directors or its future restructure, committee and task force
- Participate as an active senior leader in the management of
UFPA, engaging in strategic and operational discussions and
decisions that move the organization forward.
- Create, implement, and manage strategic development and
communication initiatives designed to significantly increase
contributed revenue. Implement of a strategic fundraising plan with
short- and long- term goals ranging from 1,3, 5, and 10
- Assist in developing and implementing a comprehensive
communications plan in concert with Marketing and Public Relations
department and the UFA Communications, and UFA Research Departments
to identify and inform the local, national and international
audiences of Affiliates, patrons, friends and UF alumni.
- Create materials that communicate the UFPA vision to patrons
and donors through proposals, annual mailings, targeted
solicitations, foundation and corporate funding, and stewardship
materials to all donors.
- Monitor and report regularly on the progress of the development
program. Collaborate with leadership to further develop individual,
foundation, corporate and institutional relationships and
- Serve as a liaison to the executive council and leadership
council. Oversee councils to include recruiting, tracking volunteer
solicitation, and maintaining regular communications.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of
- Oversee communications to the Board, and participates in
recruiting experienced and diverse leadership on associated boards
Assist with special projects, such as fundraising events.
Participate in UFA and UF training and committees as appropriate
and in dialogue with the Director and the Assistant VP for
Commensurate with experience
A master’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization and
three years of appropriate experience in Development or a related
field; or a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of
specialization and five years of experience in Development or a
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Three to five years of progressively responsible leadership
experience in development with a demonstrated track record of
successful fundraising in a university and/or performing arts
- Track record of developing, and retaining a high caliber staff,
building a team, and creatively organizing and managing them to
maximize the support of external constituencies.
- Excellent organizational and operational skills; confidence and
independence in exercising leadership skills and in representing
the Museum to external constituents.
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement an annual
strategic development plan.
- Experience in developing solicitation strategies.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Experience working in the strategic planning and/or
implementation of an organization.
- Demonstrated ability to support UFPA and UF missions.
Collaborative focus. A strong understanding of budgeting practices
and financial accountability and the ability to manage resources
with prudence and efficiency.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team player who
will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority
within and outside the organization.
- An appreciation for and support of diversity in the workplace
in all its forms; proven success working with stakeholders; project
management skills; experience in a data-driven environment;
organizational skills; and the ability to lead, influence and
motivate others are required.
- Experience engaging, training, motivating, and staffing
volunteers in the cultivation, solicitation, and closing of
significant gifts; appreciation for the role of volunteers in
building an effective development network.
- Ability to demonstrate the highest standards of ethics as
accepted by the professional fundraising community.
- Excellent oral and written communications and interpersonal
- Working knowledge in these areas: Windows, Microsoft Word,
Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, internet browsers, preferably
Internet Explorer, E-mail. Working knowledge of a donor database,
contact management and tracking system. Tech savvy with social
media awareness desirable.
- The ability and willingness to travel. A valid driver license
and good driving record are essential.
Business expenses are reimbursed through a standard accounting
system. The ability to pay for expenses using your own personal
credit card or funds and have them reimbursed is essential.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered you must upload cover letter, resume and
list of three references.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end
This position has been reposted. Previous applicants are still
under consideration and need not reapply.
Health Assessment Required: