Job Posting Title
Vision Care Technology Adjunct Assistant Professor
Los Rios Community College District (District Office)
The Los Rios Community College District is the second-largest,
two-year public college district in California, serving
approximately 75,000 students in the greater Sacramento region. The
District’s 2,400 square mile service area includes Sacramento and
El Dorado counties and parts of Yolo, Placer, and Solano counties
and is comprised of four uniquely diverse colleges – American
River, Cosumnes River, Folsom Lake, and Sacramento City colleges.
In addition to each college’s main campus, the District offers
educational centers in Placerville, Davis, West Sacramento, Elk
Grove, Natomas, and Rancho Cordova.
The Los Rios District Office is centrally located in the heart of
the Sacramento valley. The growing Capital Region has strong
communities and emergent arts and dining scenes, and is nearby some
of the most celebrated tourist destinations in the country – Lake
Tahoe, Napa Valley, and San Francisco. The Sacramento area is a
great place to live and work.
The District has approximately 6,000 employees throughout our four
colleges and District Office complex. The District Office is
centrally located between all four colleges and provides welcoming,
inclusive, and equitable environments for Los Rios students,
employees, and our community partners. Our departments strive for
the highest quality in all programs, services, and activities, and
are focused on advancing the learning of our diverse student
population through improved academic and social outcomes.
Our Colleges offer equity-minded, academically rigorous, student
success centered education. Our objective is to help our students
successfully achieve their academic goals, whether they want to
transfer to a four-year college or university, earn an associates
degree, or obtain one of more than 100 certificates in high demand
The Los Rios Community College District is seeking a pool of
qualified applicants for possible temporary part-time faculty
teaching assignments. These positions are filled on an as needed
basis and are on-going recruitment efforts.
Adjunct pools are open continuously and applicants are
contacted/hired year round for assignments based on college
Teaching assignments may include day, evening, on-line, hybrid,
weekend, and/or off campus classes.
The adjunct faculty member shall be responsible for the following:
teaching assigned classes under the supervision of the area dean;
helping students fulfill their maximum potential in mastering
course content; assessing student learning outcomes; maintaining a
thorough and up-to-date knowledge in his/her regular teaching
field; continuing professional development; utilizing current
technology in the performance of job duties; maintaining standards
of professional conduct and ethics appropriate to the professional
position; assisting with articulation and curriculum development
and review; serving on college committees and participating in
faculty governance including accreditation and student
co-curricular activities; assuming other responsibilities as
assigned by the area dean; fulfilling other duties and
responsibilities of an adjunct faculty member as outlined in the
college faculty handbook.
Total Hrs per Week/Day
1. Have a bachelor’s degree or higher and two years of professional
experience, or any associate degree and six years of professional
experience; OR hold a California Community College Instructor’s
Credential in the discipline area; OR the equivalent.* Professional
experience is required when the applicant possesses a master’s
degree. The professional experience required must be directly
related to the faculty member’s teaching assignment. All degrees
must be from an accredited institution.
Possession of an appropriate California Community College
Credential, that is, possession of current National Contact Lens
Examiners ( NCLE ) Certification, Contact Lens Dispenser ( CLD
Current American Board of Opticianry ( ABO ) Certification,
Spectacle Lens Dispenser ( SLD ).
Professional experience as a certified Optician for dispensing and
fitting for both eye glasses and contact lens in either a retail
business or a clinical dispensary.
2. Have an equity-minded focus, responsiveness, and sensitivity to
and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural,
disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic
backgrounds of community college students, including those with
physical or learning disabilities as it relates to differences in
learning styles; and successfully foster and support an inclusive
educational and employment environment.
• Applicants applying under the “equivalent” provision must attach
details and explain how their academic preparation and/or
professional experience is the equivalent of the degrees/minimum
qualifications listed above.
• If your degree title differs from the minimum qualifications
listed above, you are requested to submit this equivalency
statement. Please visit our website for information on, and a
sample letter for, the
Applicants applying to this position are REQUIRED to complete fully
1. Los Rios Community College District Faculty Application
2. Resume or Curriculum Vitae
3. Two letters of recommendation
4. Letter of Interest
5. Unofficial transcripts of college/university work
- Applications submitted without all required documents, listed
above, will be disqualified.
- Graduate advising documents and grade reports will not be
accepted as unofficial transcripts.
- Los Rios employees are also required to submit unofficial
copies of transcripts.
- Individuals who have completed college or university course
work at an institution in a country other than the United States
must obtain a complete evaluation of foreign transcripts, degrees,
and other relevant documents.
- A foreign transcript evaluation is required any time foreign
course work is used to meet minimum qualifications and/or salary
placement even if the foreign transcript has been accepted by a
college or university in the United States.
- Foreign transcript evaluations ONLY accepted from AICE
(Association of International Credential Evaluations, Inc.) or
NACES (The National Association of Credential Evaluation Services)
agencies or evaluators.
Foreign Degree Transcript Evaluations click here
Do not submit additional materials that are not requested.
LRCCD Salary Schedules
Additional Salary Information
No additional salary information to note
Beginning and/or Ending Dates
Part-time, Assistant Professor Position. Adjunct pools are open
continuously and applicants are contacted/hired year round for
assignments based on college needs.
How and where to apply
Please visit our
Frequently Asked Questions
for complete information on how to
apply online with our District. If you need assistance with any
phase of the application process, please call (916) 568-3112 during
regular business hours Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00
After hours inquiries should be emailed to HR@losrios.edu.
Submission of applications are by 11:59 p.m. of the posting closing
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful clearance
from a criminal background check, freedom from tuberculosis, and
proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States
prior to the first day of work. The District may select additional
qualified candidates should unexpected vacancies or needs occur
during this recruitment/selection process. When education is a
requirement for the position, official academic transcripts from
the accredited college/university must be submitted within 60 days
Contingent on funding and eligibility, successful candidates
selected for a face-to-face interview may be eligible to apply for
partial reimbursement of travel expenses, up to a maximum of $450.
Travel Reimbursement click here
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * I acknowledge and agree that I understand that by answering
the question below, I certify that the information provided by me
is true, correct and complete to the best of my knowledge and
belief. I authorize investigation of all statements contained
herein, and on the P-881 (if applicable and submitted), and I
release from liability all persons and organizations furnishing
such information. I understand that any misstatements, omissions or
misrepresentation of facts on this form, my application, and, if
applicable, the P-881 or attachment(s) may be cause for
disqualification or dismissal. If you have ever been convicted of
an offense other than a minor traffic violation you are required to
complete the form 'Arrests Which Led to Convictions for Crime',
P-881 (you must disclose convictions that have been dismissed
pursuant to Penal Code Section 1203.4; Ed. Code 87008). If needed
click on the link and download the form
https://losrios.edu/lrccd/shared/doc/hr/forms/p-881.pdf and attach
the completed form to your application.
- Yes, I acknowledge and agree
- No, I do not acknowledge or agree
- No answer
- * Can you perform the essential functions of this position?
- * Please indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for
this position. Select the appropriate answer.
- I possess the minimum qualifications for this discipline as
listed on the job announcement. (Attach unofficial transcripts from
an accredited college/university and/or evidence of job
- I possess a valid California Community College Credential for
this discipline. (Attach a copy of appropriate credential with
- I possess qualifications equivalent to those listed and have
attached evidence. (To review Equivalency Process.)
- I have previously been granted equivalency to teach this
discipline by the Los Rios Community College District. (Attach the
Equivalency Determination Form P-38 and transcripts.)
- * Considering this specific position that you are applying to –
where/how did you learn about this position?
- College Department
- Chronicle of Higher Ed (Vitea.com)
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Oakland
- Community College Registry Job Fair: Los Angeles
- Community College Registry Online Job Board
- Community Outreach (ex. Festivals, etc.)
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- D'Primeramano Magazine
- Facebook (Campaign)
- Facebook (Los Rios Page)
- Greater Sacramento Urban League
- Handshake (CSU, UC Job Boards)
- Job Sites
- Job Journal
- Latina Leadership Network of the California Community
- Los Rios Community College District Employee
- Los Rios Community College District Human Resources Email
- Los Rios Community College District Website
- LRCCD Resource Group - API (Asian Pacific Islander Legacy)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Black Faculty & Staff Association
- LRCCD Resource Group Native American Collaborative (NAC)
- LRCCD Resource Group - Spectrum (LGBTQIA+)
- Professional Networks
- Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Asian Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Builders Exchange
- Sacramento Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Sacramento Rainbow Chamber of Commerce
- The HUB
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Unofficial Transcript 1
- Unofficial Transcript 2
- Unofficial Transcript 3
- Unofficial Transcript 4
- Unofficial Transcript 5
- P-881 Report of Arrests Which Led To Convictions For Crime
- Foreign Transcript Evaluation