CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LONG BEACH
College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Tenure-Track Position Opening
Recruitment Number: 2624
Position: Assistant Professor of Chemistry (Organic
Effective Date: August 17, 2021 (Fall Semester)
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and
To Apply Visit:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry with an emphasis in any area of Organic
Chemistry, including (but not limited to) Physical Organic
Chemistry, Organometallic Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry. Degree at
time of application or official notification of completion of the
doctoral degree by August 1, 2021.
- Established record of research productivity, proportional to
experience, in an area mentioned above.
- Strong potential for effective teaching of undergraduate and
graduate (MS) students.
- Strong potential for developing an independent and externally
funded research program involving undergraduate and graduate (MS)
students leading to high-impact publications.
- Demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse
- Advanced training beyond the Ph.D., e.g. Post-doc, industry,
- Successful experience teaching undergraduate and graduate-level
courses in organic chemistry.
- Successful experience teaching chemistry to a diverse student
body and knowledge of effective strategies (e.g. culturally
responsive or inclusive pedagogy, awareness of issues that may
affect the success of minoritized students) supporting
underrepresented groups in STEM.
- Awareness of pedagogical best practices and ongoing commitment
to developing and maintaining knowledge in this area.
- A research program that complements existing department
research and instrumentation.
Review of applications to begin September 21, 2020
Position open until filled (or recruitment canceled)
A background check (including a criminal records check and
telephone reference check with most recent employer) must be
completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a
position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the
background check may affect the application status of applicants or
continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated
reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting
Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in
CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of
CSULB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse
population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance,
civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each
individual, without regard to race, color, national origin,
ancestry, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual
orientation, marital status, disability, medical condition, age,
Vietnam era veteran status, or any other veteran's status. CSULB is
an Equal Opportunity Employer.