FlexJD Program Director
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and
the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our
world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students,
faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the
confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London;
Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto;
Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and
Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through
this network, we expand opportunities for flexible,
student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused
Northeastern's comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate
programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to
degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among
these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees
designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and
About the Opportunity:
The Program Director will be responsible for assisting in the
implementation, coordination, and oversight of the FlexJD Program,
Northeastern's part-time JD program with an inaugural class
entering Fall 2021. The Director will collaborate with senior
managers at the Law School and the University to continue building
the strategy and operations needed to successfully launch and
administrate this program.
The Director's continuing role will be essential to the success of
the FlexJD Program. The primary focus of this job is to ensure
quality program delivery in keeping with the School of Law's
Program Planning, Oversight and
- Provide leadership for day-to-day and long-term operations for
the FlexJD Program, including collaboration with School of Law
leadership to develop and implement systems and procedures to
ensure effective delivery of the Program.
- Collaborate with professional, administrative, and secretarial
staff responsible for day-to-day office operations related to
registration, course scheduling, examinations, student record
keeping, and faculty support.
- Regularly liaise with School of Law and University
administrators and staff, as well as external vendors, to ensure
the academic and technical integrity of the program.
- Work closely with departments within the School of Law
including Admissions, Financial Aid, the Center for Co-Op and
Professional Advancement, Communications, the Law Library, and the
Office of Computer Services to ensure coordinated services for
- Provide leadership in the organization, scheduling and
marketing of the courses to target populations.
- Identify potential adjunct instructors and, if authorized by
Northeastern, conduct preliminary interviews of those potential
Student Advising and Support:
- Become conversant in and highly knowledgeable about law school
academic rules and policies and how they interact with the FlexJD
Program, including staying up-to-date on American Bar Association
(“ABA”) accreditation standards and relevant bar admissions
- Collaborate with key School of Law and University
administrators and staff to develop, review, and implement academic
policies, procedures, and systems to support student success and
ensure compliance with relevant ABA standards.
- Work closely with the Associate Dean Administration &
Finance to ensure that the FlexJD Program aligns with the budgeting
policies and procedures of the School of Law.
- Develop and implement programs to promote cohesion between the
FlexJD Program and the already existing full-time JD program,
particularly around matters related to extracurricular and student
- Serve on committees and participate in other internal
governance groups, as assigned, including regular attendance at
meetings with units outside of the School of Law.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
- Advise admitted students and enrolled students on matters
related to program sequencing, academic rules and requirements, and
- Serve as first line of interface regarding FlexJD students
issues and needs. Field questions from FlexJD students and, if
necessary, re-direct those questions to appropriate persons at
- Develop and manage FlexJD new-student orientation events and
- Develop and evaluate student retention efforts.
- Coordinate with internal and external resources to ensure that
technical support is provided to students.
- Serve as the first responder for questions from faculty who
teach in the FlexJD Program and, if necessary, re-directing those
questions to appropriate persons at Northeastern.
- Coordinate and conduct faculty development for online/hybrid
pedagogy and the use of online instructional technologies.
- Collaborate with law school leadership, faculty, and external
partners to facilitate faculty course development efforts.
- Liaise with internal and external resources to ensure that
technical support is provided to faculty.
- 6-8 years of administrative experience managing individuals and
programs within a complex organization.
- Skilled in resolving challenges and conflicts in a diplomatic
and tactful manner and in exercising discretion in handling
- Creative problem-solving skills with intellectual curiosity and
the mental agility to troubleshoot and make sound decisions in
response to rapidly changing, often complicated situations.
- Excellent diplomacy and negotiation skills; and the ability to
converse easily, with courtesy and clarity, with all members of the
Northeastern community and beyond.
- Exceptional collaboration skills and demonstrated ability to
work effectively in teams and groups to plan, implement, and
support complex institutional endeavors.
- Experience with part-time or online programs preferred.
- Experience in student services and/or admissions and student
recruitment, including recruitment of students from
underrepresented populations, preferred.
- Experience in developing programs preferred
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking
to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and
staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its
forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect
that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, religion,
color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability
status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and
support of diversity and inclusion, please see
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/506164