Provides athletic training and rehabilitation services to athletes
and provides on-field coverage of athletic events. This is a term
assignment ending May 31, 2022.
- Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal
- Evaluate, prevent, treat, and rehabilitate
- Review online pre-participation forms and physicals, following
up on any answers that may need more information before an athlete
can be cleared to play.
- Make sure all athletes are compliant with the NCAA 6-month rule
for pre-participation physicals for intercollegiate athletics, as
well as rugby and crew.
- Work with coaches and athletic staff to ensure a safe playing
environment (weather, equipment, and playing field).
- Communicate with coaches about injuries and the participation
of their athletes.
- Manage on the field emergencies and injuries that may arise in
accordance with the set emergency action plan.
- Coordinate referrals to Team Physician, Orthopedists, and other
- Communicate with physicians and other medical professionals
regarding the treatment and rehabilitation of certain injuries
(including post-surgical rehabilitations).
- Work with the college insurance company to ensure proper
coverage of any outside evaluations, treatments, or diagnostic
testing pertaining to athletic injuries.
- Prepare athletes for practice and competition by using assorted
taping and wrapping procedures.
- Hire and schedule student employees:
Keep up-to-date records of student EMT, CPR/AED, and First Aid
- Coordinate EMT coverage for men’s and women’s rugby practices
Teach workshops on taping and procedures of the athletic training
- Oversee student staff coverage of the athletic training
- Schedule students to work in the athletic training room as
needed per the week’s events.
- Record treatment and injury information on the computer system.
File and track any physician or emergency room reports for
- Provide coverage at “home” athletic events and many “away”
events as scheduled, requiring much travel time:
- Travel with two assigned teams providing athletic training
coverage for home and away contests, as well as practices,
including NESCAC and NCAA playoff games.
- One season of home coverage of contests and practices for teams
who do not have an athletic trainer assigned to travel with
- Most weekends and some late night practice coverage required
during winter and spring seasons.
- Assist visiting teams who do not have an athletic trainer with
- Must be familiar with the NESCAC and NCAA rules for assigned
- Rules for appropriate medical coverage for games and
NCAA rules on banned substances and acquiring appropriate records
for medical exceptions.
Maintain certifications and licenses as required by the State of
Vermont and the National Athletic Training Association.
Complete other duties as needed to achieve the goals of the Sports
Masters degree preferred
Certified NATA athletic trainer
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be First Aid and CPR/AED certified.
- Must be NATA certified and Vermont state license eligible
1-2 years of previous experience as an athletic trainer
Offers of employment are contingent on completion of a background
check. Information on our background check policy can be found
To apply, visit https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/23814
Middlebury is an equal-opportunity employer where diversity,
equity, and inclusion are core values. To this end, Middlebury
recruits talented and diverse faculty, staff, and students from
across the United States and around the world. Middlebury
encourages applications from women, people of color, people with
disabilities, and members of other protected classes and
historically underrepresented communities. Middlebury also invites
applications from individuals who demonstrate an ongoing commitment
to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the