Chairperson - School of Education and Urban Studies - Higher
Morgan State University
Brief Summary of Job Duties
The Chair serves as the chief academic administrator of the
Department and provides leadership in all matters of policy, as
determined by the Dean and the Senior Vice President and Provost.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to the
- Facilitate the operation of the Department through
administrative, fiscal, and assessment tasks expected of department
- Assume responsibility for setting and meeting enrollment
projections, recruiting, admitting, and advising
- Work with faculty, administrators, and staff to support a
research and scholarly agenda consistent with Morgan's trajectory
toward Carnegie classification as an R1 university.
- Maintain effective engagement of faculty with open
communication, continuous improvement efforts, and the pursuit of
the School's strategic initiatives.
- Carry out responsibilities associated with annual faculty
evaluation, tenure, and promotion.
- Serve on SEUS Leadership Team with Dean-appointed
- Represent departmental interests at the College and University
- Maintain involvement with state and national associations and
accreditors to ensure programs that are relevant and
- Maintain an active and relevant research agenda consistent with
expectations of an associate or full professor.
- Teach one to two doctoral courses each year and advise graduate
- Implement and lead in the design of professional development
activities for faculty.
Requested Minimum Qualifications
- An earned PhD or Ed.D in Higher Education, Educational Studies,
Educational Administration, Educational Leadership, Educational
Policy or a field of study that is closely related to one of the
programs in the department.
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion and social
- Prior University academic administrative experience expected to
include budget and personnel management.
- Evidence of strong leadership skills and experience consistent
with the expectations of a department chair (experience as
college/department chair preferred).
- Experience leading, managing, and/or directing graduate
- Evidence of successful graduate level teaching, and service
consistent with the rank of associate or full professor, with
preference given for prior dissertation committee
- Evidence of advanced research competence in the field of
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with students and
colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues at the
departmental, college, university, public school, and agency
- Evidence of success and/or potential for success in securing
- Evidence of demonstrated ability to contribute to the mission
of the School of Education and Urban Studies and the
Other Preferences for Consideration
chronicle of higher learning
To apply, please visit: https://morgan.peopleadmin.com/postings/3340