Howard Community College (HCC) is an exciting place to work,
learn, and grow! HCC has been awarded the distinction as a "Great
College to Work for" since 2009 from The Chronicle of Higher
Howard Community College values diversity among its faculty,
staff and student population. We are an innovative institution that
is committed to responding to the ever-changing needs and interests
of a diverse and dynamic community. No matter where you want to go
in your career, you can get there from here!
Howard Community College is actively recruiting a Cybersecurity
Analyst to support our campus in Columbia, MD.
The Cybersecurity Analyst assists management with implementing
procedural, technical and enterprise wide cybersecurity
requirements, that assures Howard Community College (HCC) is
operating securely. The Cybersecurity Analyst works closely with
the various teams in the Information Technology (IT) department to
ensure systems and networks are designed, developed, deployed and
managed with an emphasis on strong, effective security, and risk
- Conducts vulnerability management program scans, reviews and
- Assists in developing and maintaining system security
documentation, procedures, policies, and standards.
- Conducts risk management analysis and assist systems in risk
- Advises HCC system owners on matters involving information
- Assists in developing IT security plans, procedures and
- Review, investigate, and respond to real-time alerts.
- Monitor online security-related resources for new and emerging
- Maintains IT continuous monitoring repository of security
- Provides direction to the college end users concerning the
college cybersecurity posture.
- Provides training on cybersecurity topics to campus
- Supports external and internal cybersecurity reviews and
- Supports annual security assessments and audits.
- Supports IT continuity of operations (COOP), incident response
(IRP) and disaster recovery (DR) exercises.
- Supports IT security budget formulation activities.
- Supports cybersecurity awareness training programs.
- Performs administrative duties as assigned by IT
- AA Degree in Information Technology and 3 years of experience
in technical computer field required or equivalent combination of
education and work experience.
- Cybersecurity certification preferred.
- Working knowledge with using vulnerability management, security
event & incident management (SIEM), and network security
management tools is strongly desired.
- Must have a working knowledge of cybersecurity principles, and
methods in compliance programs of the National Institute of
Standards & Technology (NIST) and Payment Card Industry
- Understanding of Enterprise technology platforms, including but
not limited to, Azure, Active Directory, Windows Server and desktop
- Understanding of network technologies, such as firewall,
routers, switches, wireless access points, VPN, and desktops and
server operating systems.
- Awareness of network topologies, servers, network architecture,
and virtualization systems.
- Ability to work in a cross functional, team oriented
environment to maintain the cyber health of the college.
- Ability to work with a significant level of detail.
- Ability to work with a high degree of independence.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Regular attendance is a requirement of this job.
- Performs all duties while considering the impact of any actions
on the college's sustainability initiatives in the areas of
environmental stewardship, social responsibility, and economic
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday
Compensation: $62,194 plus excellent medical & dental, tuition
reimbursement and paid leave
FLSA Status: Exempt
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration: August 13, 2021
*Pre-employment criminal background investigation is a condition
As a participating member of the Maryland Retirement and Pension
System, HCC offers two retirement options: The Pension, which
requires a 7% employee contribution and The ORP, a 403(b) with a
7.25% employer contribution only. Employees in positions that do
not require a bachelor's degree must participate in The Pension.
Employees that possess a bachelor's degree and hold professional
positions that require a bachelor's degree may choose to
participate in either The Pension or The ORP.
Howard Community College (HCC) is an Equal Employment
Opportunity & Affirmative Action employer & values
diversity within its faculty, staff & student population. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age,
gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information,
disability or protected veteran status.
HCC understands that persons with specific disabilities may need
assistance with the job application process and/or with the
interview process. For confidential assistance with the job
application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources
HCC is interested in all qualified applicants who are eligible
to work in the United States. However, HCC will generally not
sponsor applicants for work visas. Due to our telework policy, only
employees living in states contiguous to Maryland are eligible for
telework and include Virginia, West Virginia, Washington DC,
Pennsylvania. Candidates must live in the commutable area or
willing to relocate at their own expense if offered the position
because HCC does not offer relocation benefits.
Please submit the following:
- Completed Application (Candidates will be evaluated on
completing the college's application in full)
- Cover Letter