Attention Current Willamette University Employees:
to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log
into your Workday account and apply through the Career
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please
complete our online employment application. Your application and
all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page --
must be submitted for each individual job post that you are
interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline,
please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline.
Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your
As part of the MarCom (Marketing Communications) team, the
Copywriter will develop original and compelling copy for online and
offline marketing assets. This position works closely with the
creative team members to bring to life the Willamette brand
personality, executing our voice across local, regional and
national channels with consistency. Reporting to the Vice President
of Marketing and Communications at Willamette, the role of the
Marcom team is to execute multi-channel communications strategies
that help the university achieve its enrollment goals at the
undergraduate and graduate levels and support in the retention of
current students at the university. The unit is responsible for
developing and executing targeted messaging and storytelling to a
wide range of audiences including prospective undergraduates,
transfer students, graduate students, international students,
students with veteran status, and family members who support their
Reasonable Accommodations Statement:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Own the copy voice for the Willamette University brand, as the
gatekeeper of all things written for Willamette.
- Manage all copy projects from concept to completion.
- Develop compelling and engaging copy for online and offline
marketing assets, including but not limited to online marketing,
banner ads, print advertisements, website content, emails, social
media, direct mail pieces, radio ads, commercials and
- Serious grammarian and copyeditor.
- Ability to translate complex topics into compelling stories
- Work closely with the Vice President for Marketing and
Communications, AVP for Admissions Marketing, Producer, and a team
of graphic designers to create new, innovative marketing
- Utilize market research and survey results and integrate
learnings into marketing copy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- 5 years of copywriting experience.
- Experience in creating engagements, driving leads, and SEO best
- Experience in utilizing a strong brand identity to drive
- Familiar with standard concepts, best practices for online
- Work well under pressure; effectively handle tight deadlines,
unexpected delays, revisions, ad hoc requests and changing
- Well versed in online media: email, web, social.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and loves to collaborate with team
- Strong creative problem-solving skills; ability to interpret
analytical thinking into copy concepts.
- Well organized with attention to detail and ability to
- Strong proofreading skills.
- Possess the applications of tact, diplomacy, sensitivity, and
- Ability to attend work consistently and maintain a regular work
- Must have a strong appreciation for diversity and enthusiasm
for working with diverse populations.
Typical Work Schedule
- Experience working in higher education, particularly with
Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm
Physical Demands & Working Conditions
Typical work performed indoors in a normal office
Large percentage of time spent looking at a computer screen or in
Salary Range: $50,000 - $55,000
Applications will be reviewed beginning August 2.
All University positions require that candidates submit to a
criminal conviction record check prior to hire. Conviction does not
automatically preclude candidates from being hired. Nature of
conviction will be considered relative to the duties of the
You will need to upload the following documents as part of your
application materials in the "My Experience" section labeled
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and
presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve
- Current Resume
- Link to previous work sample(s) and/or portfolio
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/Copywriter_R0003704
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and
to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting
and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek
candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented
groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus
varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.