Security Sensitive Position?
Hours of Work
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM M-F
Official TSU Title
VICE PRESIDENT RESEARCH & INNOVATION
Job Description Summary / TWC Summary
The Vice-President for Research and Innovation is responsible for
the leadership, management, and administration of research at Texas
Southern University and is instrumental in leading innovation
initiatives throughout the University. Reporting to the President,
the Vice President for Research and Innovation holds primary
responsibility for the planning, development and implementation of
all research administration initiatives in support of TSU’s vision,
mission, and strategic directions. The Vice-President will play a
critical role in promoting TSU research locally, provincially,
nationally, and internationally, and will act as a TSU liaison with
all constituents on matters that relate to its interest in
research, innovation, commercialization, technology transfer, and
Essential Duties Summary
- Strategically lead the University’s research and innovative
- Create a university infrastructure, environment and culture
inside the University that facilitates, encourages, inspires,
nurtures, enhances and supports research and innovation.
- Enable and assist faculty to identify and secure external funds
through regional, national and international grants (institutional
and individual), partnerships and contracts to support research at
- Promote and support basic and applied research foci in the
different disciplines and areas of interest that characterize TSU
- Showcase TSU faculty and student research programs and
- Support joint research programs with partner institutions.
- Foster research that responds to challenges confronting urban
- Oversee the development of academic research policies,
processes, and protocols.
- Support the commercialization of appropriate TSU research
- Manage the university’s intellectual property and technology
- Advance research through the creation of an efficient and
user-friendly Research Office that delivers services, support and
training necessary to enable the effective functioning of research
activities and operations while ensuring compliance with
requirements of granting agencies.
- Lead efforts to secure and maintain positive local, regional,
provincial and federal partnerships with government and
- Provide direction to faculty, staff, students and
organizational units in the development of their strategic research
plans, support best practices, and monitor progress through
appropriate performance indicators.
- Provide leadership and oversee development of international
research programs/efforts, including a focus on
- Develop and maintain the University’s research programs and
relationships with granting agencies, government ministries,
regulatory bodies, community organizations, municipalities, other
post-secondary institutions, and industry.
- Identify and pursue opportunities on behalf of researchers and
the institution to increase Trent’s performance and reputation for
- Ensure compliance with all research administration requirements
including legislative, ethics, regulatory, funding agency and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
$187,778.00 - $244,112.00
Doctorate (Ph.D.) required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Relevant legal and regulatory requirements, including Federal,
State, and Local laws.
- Federal auditing standards in general and particularly as they
apply to colleges and universities with federal funds.
- Knowledge of research policies, procedures, and practices.
- Knowledge of conflict of interest and ethics requirements,
including federal research requirements.
- Other job-related software and systems.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Securing high levels of research grants and awards.
- Academic leadership and team building.
- Sustaining high performing and effective teams that engage with
colleagues across the University.
- Managing staff and their performance.
- Training and development of early career academics, including
- Strategic and operational management and planning as evidenced
by demonstrated track record.
- Financial planning and resource allocation.
- Leading and successfully initiating and implementing
Five (5) years related experience overseeing research and
innovation programs and/or activities. Additionally, five (5) –
seven (7) years of managing an array of diverse functions and
individuals. Extensive research experience with a successful and
sustained record of securing research funding.
Experience in working within higher education preferred.
Demonstrated leadership experience in legal, compliance, financial,
and enterprise risk management preferred.
- Routine office environment.
- Sitting or standing in one location much of the time.
- Some stooping, lifting or carrying objects light weight may be
- Use of video display terminal.
Desired start date
Position End Date (if temporary)
UA EEO Statement
It is the policy of Texas Southern University to provide a work
environment that is free from discrimination for all persons
regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin,
individuals with disability, sexual orientation, or protected
veteran status in its programs, activities, admissions or
employment policies. This policy of equal opportunity is strictly
observed in all University employment-related activities such as
advertising, recruiting, interviewing, testing, employment
training, compensation, promotion, termination, and employment
benefits. This policy expressly prohibits harassment and
discrimination in employment based on race, color, religion,
gender, gender identity, genetic history, national origin,
individuals with disability, age, citizenship status, or protected
veteran status. This policy shall be adhered to in accordance with
the provisions of all applicable federal, state and local laws,
including, but not limited to, Title VII of the Civil Rights
Manual of Administrative Policies and Procedures
Open Until Filled (overrides close field)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Open to all applicants.
Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Do you have a Doctorate degree (Ph.D.)?
Do you have five (5) years related experience overseeing
research and innovation programs and/or activities? Additionally,
five (5) – seven (7) years of managing an array of diverse
functions and individuals?
Do you have extensive research experience with a successful
and sustained record of securing research funding?
- * Do you have experience working in a higher education
Do you have demonstrated leadership experience in legal,
compliance, financial, and enterprise risk management?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Official Transcripts
- Other Document
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3