About Worcester State University:
WORCESTER STATE UNIVERSITY is a liberal arts and sciences
university with a long tradition of academic excellence dating back
to 1874, as well as an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer that seeks to reflect the diversity of its community. Our
workforce is dedicated to academic quality, student-centered
programming, engaged citizenship, open exchanges of ideas,
diversity and inclusiveness, and civility and integrity. We are
looking for job applicants who share these values and commitment to
Worcester State is centrally located in Massachusetts, about an
hour's drive from Boston, Springfield, and Providence, Rhode
Island. Our 58-acre campus is nestled in the residential northwest
side of Worcester--the second largest city in New England and home
to 37,000 college students at more than a dozen colleges and
universities. Over 6,000 of those students attend Worcester
State--approximately 5,300 are undergraduates and 1,000 are
graduate students. Learn more about us at worcester.edu/about
Assistant Director of Communications,
Marketing and Project Management
Subordinate professional and
classified staff, as assigned
General Statement of Duties:
The Assistant Director of
Communications, Marketing and Project Management is responsible for
researching, writing, and editing stories for the university's news
site, WSU News, and supporting other communication efforts of the
university. They will be assigned communications and marketing
projects with university departments, and work with the staff in
the Office of Communications and Marketing to determine effective
strategies for dissemination.
In addition to writing and editing duties, the Assistant Director
will also have responsibility for project management, internal
client servicing, brand management, and assisting with content
creation for the University's marketing communications and
The position reports to the Director of Editorial Communications
and will support that position when work demands require. They will
also work with the Director of Marketing and acts as project lead
in meeting the University's marketing and enrollment objectives
with vendors and other partners.
With an understanding of traditional as well as new media and
technology, this person must be equally comfortable writing copy
for news stories, press releases, brochures, publications,
websites, email blasts, advertisements, videos, and audio podcasts.
As the news website manager, this person will cover events to
provide stories, photos and/or videos, with content that reflects
the campus environment and culture.
(E) = Essential
- (E) Communicates the Worcester State story through compelling
storytelling; disseminates the University's marketing
- (E) Establishes daily and long-term editorial processes and
calendars for news website; communicates content updates, schedules
and deadlines to the wider organization and/or individual
- (E) Writes and edits copy for news website, advertisements,
brochures, department websites and other promotional materials;
creates, curates, and evaluates news content for the WSU News
website, including writing, editing, and posting news articles,
photographs, videos, TV/radio news clips, podcasts, etc., using the
- (E) In collaboration with the cross-divisional content team,
identifies compelling story ideas and creates content for the news
website and www.worcester.edu that is relevant, informative, and
impactful with attention paid to quality, style, and format.
- (E) Attends university events for the purpose of developing
story content and, when necessary, taking photos/videos; oversees
student interns/staff as assigned.
- (E) Relays the University's key brand messages and unique
points of distinction to desired audiences through the creation of
engaging content for a variety of channels; works to ensure a
consistent voice, style, and tone in all communications.
- (E) Provides project management and executes projects from
conceptualization to completion for a variety of internal clients
to achieve their marketing goals while adhering to University brand
guidelines and standards.
- (E) Manages the production of print and digital communications
utilizing strong project management, adherence to production
schedules; collaborates with the Publication and Printing Services
Office, external vendors, and internal stakeholders
- (E) Works collaboratively with the Director of Marketing,
Assistant Vice President of Communications and Marketing, Director
of Editorial Communications, Assistant Director of Web &
Digital Communications, work-study students, interns, graduate
assistants, freelance writers, editors, photographers, and
- Researches higher education news and storytelling trends with
peers and competitors and implements creative ways to increase
engagement on a periodic basis
- (E) Supports student recruitment, retention, and graduation
- (E) Act as an essential employee, during emergency and
weather-related events, as a member of the Emergency Response Team,
to assure timely and accurate communication to campus
- (E) Demonstrates civility and professional, customer-service
oriented behavior, worthy of emulation by other staff and
- (E) Responsible for contributing to the WSU Strategic
- (E) Responsible for contributing to Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action objectives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, English, journalism,
marketing, or a related field.
- Strong writing and editing skills, in addition to
interpersonal, communication, and listening skills.
- Three years of experience in communications, journalism,
marketing or a related field.
- Experience with marketing campaigns, production scheduling,
project management, and customer service.
- Ability to work under pressure and multi-task a number of
projects by setting priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to learn new software and conduct research.
- Experience with HTML, content management systems, Wordpress,
and photography editing and production.
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team, multi-task
and effectively prioritize multiple projects at the same time and
adhere to deadlines.
- Ability to thrive in a highly collaborative, creative,
cross-functional team environment.
- Proven ability to successfully work with vendors and agencies
to achieve results.
- Higher education experience preferred; knowledge of higher
education principles, practices and procedures; ability to apply
principles of marketing in a higher education environment.
- Five years of experience in communications, journalism,
marketing or a related field.
- Videography and video editing skills
- Photo editing skills
Worcester State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer which seeks to reflect the diversity of its
The firm annual salary range for this full-time, benefited APA
position is: $60,000 - $68,000.
All applicants must apply online at
Expected documents for submission include a cover letter, resume,
and a list of three professional references with contact
information. Applicants must complete the National Student
Clearinghouse Authorization form or submit the official transcript
of highest degree.
All information that can be uploaded to one's e-account should be
done so by the applicant; information which cannot may be faxed to
508-929-8169 or emailed to email@example.com, or may be sent to the
Executive Director, Chief Human Resources Officer
Worcester State University
486 Chandler Street
Worcester, MA 01602-2597