About Worcester State University:
WORCESTER STATE UNIVERSITY is a liberal arts and sciences
university with a long tradition of academic excellence dating back
to 1874, as well as an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer that seeks to reflect the diversity of its community. Our
workforce is dedicated to academic quality, student-centered
programming, engaged citizenship, open exchanges of ideas,
diversity and inclusiveness, and civility and integrity. We are
looking for job applicants who share these values and commitment to
Worcester State is centrally located in Massachusetts, about an
hour's drive from Boston, Springfield, and Providence, Rhode
Island. Our 58-acre campus is nestled in the residential northwest
side of Worcester--the second largest city in New England and home
to 37,000 college students at more than a dozen colleges and
universities. Over 6,000 of those students attend Worcester
State--approximately 5,300 are undergraduates and 1,000 are
graduate students. Learn more about us at worcester.edu/about
Director of Marketing
Assistant Vice President of
Communications and Marketing
Assistant Director of Web &
Digital Communications; Staff Associate for Brand &
General Statement of Duties:
Under the leadership of the
Assistant Vice President of Communication and Marketing, the
Director of Marketing supports Worcester State University's efforts
to position itself as a source of academically excellent degree
programs in crowded local and regional markets. The Director is
responsible for establishing and maintaining relationships
internally with students, directors, deans, department chairs, vice
presidents, and assistant vice presidents, and externally with
marketing/advertising agencies, vendors and contractors.
The Director leads the marketing team and its activities including
website, social media, and media-buying strategy, digital and
collateral design, and metrics analysis. This position works
closely with undergraduate, graduate and continuing education
admissions and retention teams, Athletics, University Advancement,
and Publications and Printing designers. The marketing team and
Director are housed in the Office of Communications and Marketing
department which is under the Enrollment Management division.
(E) = Essential
- (E) Works with a cross-functional team to facilitate campus
collaboration to implement marketing initiatives and achieve
marketing objectives that support the university's mission.
- (E) Leads WSU's marketing efforts including development of
integrated marketing plans and development and implementation
thereof spanning print, web, direct mail, email, advertising
campaigns, and social media to advance the University's standing in
the higher education marketplace.
- (E) Develops metrics to evaluate the effectiveness of marketing
activities, conducts ongoing research regarding demographic trends
and market perceptions relative to WSU; oversees and monitors
website and social media analytics.
- (E) Provides oversight of program-level marketing materials
requested by faculty and staff to ensure quality and consistency
with WSU's marketing themes and brand identity standards.
- (E) Manages the development, design, content, and ongoing
maintenance of the university's website and the myWSU portal.
- (E) Ensures that the WSU website design and content is current,
dynamic, and easy to navigate, and supports WSU's academic goals,
campus vitality, marketing themes and brand identity
- (E) Oversees the design, planning, and implementation of
marketing initiatives that support the University's brand and its
programming through print, digital, and broadcast media, as well as
new and emerging media channels.
- (E) Conceptualizes innovative storytelling ideas, develops
storyboards, writes scripts, and art directs video
- (E) Provides project management and creative design for
advertising campaigns, marketing initiatives, and events.
- (E) Serves as primary liaison to external agencies and
freelancers hired by the University develops measurable project
goals and objectives; ensures timely execution of committed
- (E) Guides and implements strategies to market the University
to prospective undergraduate, graduate, and continuing education
students; elevates the branding and overall perception of the
- (E) Collaborates with Admissions and Graduate and Continuing
Education personnel to ensure that customer relationship management
content supports WSU's academic goals, campus vitality, marketing
themes and brand identity standards.
- (E) Delegates and supervises the work of professional staff to
produce strategic marketing goals.
- (E) Promotes and publicizes the University's mission, faculty
achievements, student achievements, new programs and campus
- (E) Consults and collaborates with the Provost, Vice
Presidents, Deans and other key administrative personnel regarding
the University's marketing and image goals, as directed.
- (E) Oversees continuity and consistent messaging and image in
production of all key marketing materials.
- (E) Develops and manages marketing budget with a demonstrated
return on investment.
- (E) Demonstrates civility and professional, customer-service
oriented behavior, worthy of emulation by other staff and
- (E) Responsible for contributing to the WSU Strategic
- (E) Responsible for contributing to Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action objectives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree
- A minimum of 5 years' experience in marketing or a related
- Extensive knowledge of marketing practices, digital, print and
social media, graphic design, advertising, photography and video
- Demonstrated understanding of the needs and strategy for
developing and maintaining a communications network
- Broad knowledge of project management principles and
- Knowledge of higher education principles, practices and
procedures; ability to apply principles of marketing in a higher
- Strong writing and communication skills, and proven
interpersonal, supervision and editing skills
- Must successfully pass a CORI and background check
- Ability to perform essential responsibilities with or without
- Master's degree
- Experience in public higher education
- Negotiating skills
Worcester State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer which seeks to reflect the diversity of its
It is the policy of Worcester State University that all employees
be vaccinated against COVID-19 before they begin employment. Proof
of the COVID-19 vaccine is required of all individuals hired by
WSU, to be verified after an offer of employment has been made, and
as part of the background check process. Prospective employees may
submit a request for exemption based on a religious and/or medical
basis, to Human Resources.
The firm annual salary range for this full-time, benefited APA
position is: $85,000 - $95,000.
All applicants must apply online at
Expected documents for submission include a cover letter, resume,
and a list of three professional references with contact
information. Applicants must complete the National Student
Clearinghouse Authorization form or submit the official transcript
of highest degree.
All information that can be uploaded to one's e-account should be
done so by the applicant; information which cannot may be faxed to
508-929-8169 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or may be sent to the
Executive Director, Chief Human Resources Officer
Worcester State University
486 Chandler Street
Worcester, MA 01602-2597