ALTERNATIVE HIGH SCHOOL- ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS TEACHER
Truman Middle College (TMC) is seeking a Full-Time English Language
Learners Teacher to start in Fall 2021. TMC is an Alternative High
School within the Youth Connection Charter School Network, open to
eligible youth between 16 to 21 years old. The alternative high
school aspires to empower students to rise above barriers in order
to become successful college and career ready individuals. Students
learn to advocate for themselves and overcome obstacles, working
towards completing their high school diploma and applying their
knowledge and learned skills to transition to higher education and
fulfilling professions. The Alternative High School Middle College
English Language Learners Teacher position is responsible for the
instructional development and evaluation of English classes and the
promotion of an academic environment that is conducive with the
institutional goals of the college.
- Contributes to the overall planning, coordinating and
implementing of instructional activities associated with each
- Follows and reviews curriculum and syllabus, and recommends
instructional changes and improvements.
- Obtains materials such as textbooks, workbooks, audiovisuals
and other ancillary materials and supplies.
- Prepares and maintains current and accurate student records of
attendance and academic progress.
- Attends and provides assistance with a variety of activities of
the student council and student review board.
- Master’s Degree in English and/or Writing preferred,
supplemented by two years of related experience and/or
- Experience and a basic understanding of the social dynamics of
“at risk” students.
- Type 9 - or Professional Educator License (PEL)
- ESL/ELL endorsement (preferred)
- Must be self-directed, innovative and able to assess current
operations in an effort to develop practical action programs to
improve the functioning of the department.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required with
the ability to interact effectively with students.
- Must be able to work well within a culturally diverse
environment with the ability to handle all situations with tact and
Excellent health and welfare benefit package and
long term savings and investment programs including 403(b) &
457(b) Investment Plans and a pension plan with the State
University Retirement System (SURS) Plan. Generous vacation,
holiday, personal and sick days, and tuition reimbursement. For a
more detailed overview of benefits, please visit the benefits page
of our website.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within
6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!