Institute for Veterans and Military Families
Operations Research Analyst
Commensurate with Experience
Standard University business hours
8:30am – 5:00pm (academic year)
8:00am – 4:30pm (summer)
Hours may vary based on operational needs.
Unionized Position Code
The Institute for Veterans and Military Families’ ( IVMF ) Research
and Analytics (R&A) team is seeking an operations analyst to
analyze available information and drive operational excellence
across the Institute and within program portfolios. In this role,
the operations research analyst will be primarily responsible for
supporting, facilitating, and managing projects and initiatives for
the Institute and designated IVMF portfolio areas. This role is
critical to the success of the Institute in driving data decision
making, supporting the IVMF’s ability to be agile and meet
unforeseen and new challenges, and in telling the story of IVMF
outcomes for military-connected individuals.
- Master’s degree in Public Administration or a related field and
one (1) plus years of experience in data analytics or data
- At least two years of professional work experience.
- Prior work experience supporting, coordinating, or managing
projects in some or all of the position responsibility areas.
Job Specific Qualifications
- Superior critical thinking and written and oral communication
- Analytical reasoning skills, and ability evaluate complex
information to offer interpretations, identify patterns, and
- Proven proficiency with statistical software and coding (e.g.,
STATA, SPSS, SAS, R, Python) required.
- Proven proficiency in Microsoft Office Professional
- Experience with business intelligence/analytic tools, data
visualization, and digital dashboards highly desirable (e.g.,
Tableau, Microsoft BI).
- Experience with customer relationship management and evaluation
system design and buildout process (e.g., Salesforce, Odoo).
- Project/program management experience and training highly
- Experience with surveys (building and sending) and survey tools
(e.g., Qualtrics, Survey Monkey).
- Basic knowledge of information management.
- Preference to those with experience working and managing
partnerships in the public sector, non-governmental and
- Preference to those with experience working with veteran,
military, and/or military family stakeholders, universities or
think tanks, and familiarity with government programs and services
for veteran and families.
- Analyze information obtained from IVMF program management
systems to conceptualize and define operational problems.
- Define data requirements and gather and validate information,
applying judgment and statistical tests.
- Study and analyze programmatic and institute-wide information
to determine strategic steps and offer the best outcomes.
- Work with the Data Solutions team to ensure successful
development and deployment of standard reports and dashboards.
- Manage the analytics workload of staff for which this position
has supervisory authority.
- Evaluate the current system in operation and gather and analyze
information about each of the parts of component problems, using a
variety of sources.
- Collaborate with senior managers and decision makers to
identify and solve a variety of problems and to clarify management
- Collaborate with others in the organization to ensure
successful implementation of chosen problem solutions.
- Manage survey development, dissemination, analysis, and
communication of results to appropriate audience(s) for
- Develop and maintain theories of change, formulation of outcome
measures, and review and/or modification of KPIs for the IVMF and
- Manage the quality, evaluation, and research workload of staff
for which this position has supervisory authority.
- Develop knowledge and expertise in program and project subject
- Educate staff in the use of data, analysis, and models.
- Present the results of data analysis and models to management
or other end users.
- Prepare management reports defining and evaluating problems and
- Assist with development and maintenance of process and
- Manage the teaching and training workload of staff for which
this position has supervisory authority.
- Support requirement gathering and communication with the Data
Solutions to ensure that expectations are well aligned between the
technical and operational teams.
- Develop and maintain relationships with project and program
- Manage the project and liaison workload of staff for which this
position has supervisory authority.
- Support presentation of findings at conferences, convenings,
and in public forums.
In addition to completing an online application, please attach a
resume and cover letter.
About Syracuse University
Syracuse University is a private, international research university
with distinctive academics, diversely unique offerings and an
undeniable spirit. Located in the geographic heart of New York
State, with a global footprint, and nearly 150 years of history,
Syracuse University offers a quintessential college
The scope of Syracuse University is a testament to its strengths: a
pioneering history dating back to 1870; a choice of more than 200
majors and 100 minors offered through 13 schools and colleges;
nearly 15,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate students; more than
a quarter of a million alumni in 160 countries; and a student
population from all 50 U.S. states and 123 countries. For more
information, please visit www.syracuse.edu.
About the Syracuse area
Syracuse is a medium-sized city situated in the geographic center
of New York State approximately 250 miles northwest of New York
City. The metro-area population totals approximately 500,000. The
area offers a low cost of living and provides many social,
cultural, and recreational options, including parks, museums,
festivals, professional regional theater, and premier shopping
venues. Syracuse and Central New York present a wide range of
seasonal recreation and attractions ranging from water skiing and
snow skiing, hiking in the Adirondacks, touring the historic sites,
visiting wineries along the Finger Lakes, and biking on trails
along the Erie Canal.
Syracuse University is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action
institution. The University prohibits discrimination and harassment
based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, national
origin, citizenship, ethnicity, marital status, age, disability,
sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, veteran
status, or any other status protected by applicable law to the
extent prohibited by law. This nondiscrimination policy covers
admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in University
programs, services, and activities.
Commitment to Supporting and Hiring Veterans
Syracuse University has a long history of engaging veterans and the
military-connected community through its educational programs,
community outreach, and employment programs. After World War II,
Syracuse University welcomed more than 10,000 returning veterans to
our campus, and those veterans literally transformed Syracuse
University into the national research institution it is today. The
University’s contemporary commitment to veterans builds on this
historical legacy, and extends to both class-leading initiatives
focused on making an SU degree accessible and affordable to the
post-9/11 generation of veterans, and also programs designed to
position Syracuse University as the employer of choice for military
veterans, members of the Guard and Reserve, and military family
Commitment to a Diverse and Inclusive Campus Community
Syracuse University maintains an inclusive learning environment in
which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social
activities, governance, and all other aspects of campus life
reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview. The
University community recognizes and values the many similarities
and differences among individuals and groups. At Syracuse, we are
committed to preparing students to understand, live among,
appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world
made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds,
military backgrounds, religious beliefs, socio-economic status,
cultural traditions, abilities, sexual orientations and gender
identities. To do so, we commit ourselves to promoting a community
that celebrates and models the principles of diversity and
Job Posting Date
Full Consideration By
Message to Applicants