Director Creative Design
Commensurate with Experience
Standard University business hours
8:30am – 5:00pm (academic year)
8:00am – 4:30pm (summer)
Hours may vary based on operational needs.
Unionized Position Code
Reporting to the Executive Director of Creative, the Design
Director serves as a critical art director, design lead and design
approver within the Creative Design team. Experienced creative
leader is a solid senior individual contributor who translates
marketing and communications strategies into compelling concepts
and expressions to consistently and effectively bring the Syracuse
University brand to life in order to advance organizational goals.
Is a design innovator. Partners with Marketing Strategies and
channel teams to offer viable, contemporary and brand aligned
design solutions. Works closely with other Creative Leaders to
ensure there’s integration between multimedia, photography, and
design for projects. Serves as lead conceptor and designer for
significant high-profile initiatives. Effectively and efficiently
brings countless projects from concept to completion. May work with
production artists to ensure effective and consistent execution of
collateral. Reviews, provides feedback/guidance, and approves
designers’ concepts and execution as needed. Can effectively and
efficiently manage multiple design efforts simultaneously.
- Bachelor’s degree and ten (10) plus years of experience in
design, brand development, leadership experience. Agency
art-director experience a plus.
- A track-record of working in a highly iterative and
collaborative way, directly alongside marketing leaders, creative
designers, and concept developers.
Job Specific Qualifications
- Portfolio of strong conceptual design work.
- Experience effectively and consistently working within brand
- Proven track record in creation and operational
- Ability to think creatively, strategically, and critically in
order to balance business objectives with user needs.
- Proven experience in strategic thinking, prioritization,
project, and resource management.
- Experience in all aspects of print, digital and multimedia
- High level of aesthetic sense.
- A critical eye and obsessive attention to detail.
- Exceptional communication skills, in writing and verbally.
- Deep understanding of marketing trends and modern marketing
- Solution-orientation and positive attitude essential.
- Deep, relevant hands-on design experience.
- Understands modern technology.
- Lead Art Director and concept designer for major high-profile
- For significant high-profile initiatives, effectively and
efficiently brings countless projects from concept to
- The Design Director serves as a critical art director, design
lead and design approver within the Creative Design team.
- Experienced creative leader is a solid senior individual
contributor who translates marketing and communications strategies
into compelling concepts and expressions to consistently and
effectively bring the Syracuse University brand to life in order to
advance organizational goals. Is a design innovator.
- Implementing modern marketing trends through creative
acute focus on user experience.
- Leads designers, production artists or freelance partners and
collaborates with other directors, ED’s to ensure concepts are
consistently and effectively executed.
- Solid at providing thoughtful brand-aligned input. Partners
with Marketing Strategies and channel teams to offer viable,
contemporary and brand aligned design solutions.
- Works closely with other Creative Leaders to ensure there’s
integration between multimedia, photography, and design for
- Serves as lead conceptor and designer for significant
- Understands the tenants of brand stewardship and becomes an
expert on interpreting and expressing the Syracuse University
- Provides final review and sign-off on projects as needed.
- Reviews, provides feedback/guidance and approves designers’
concepts and execution as needed.
- Can effectively and efficiently manage multiple design efforts
- Drives the creation of collateral and concept — both physical
and digital with excellent attention to detail.
- Approves all high-end creation production and may serve as
partner in ‘concepting’ for significant events or campaigns.
- Close visual acuity to perform tasks related the production of
- Ability to perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking
levels with or without correction.
- Frequently moves Audio/Visual equipment across campus to
various sites and for events; ability to move, lift, set up and
break down photography and videography equipment. Ability to lift
25-50 lbs. repeatedly at multiple assignments.
- Flexibility and ability to position oneself to shoot a variety
of images. Photo/video shoots may require standing, sitting, and
kneeling for 4-8 hours.
In addition to completing an online application, please attach a
resume and cover letter.
About Syracuse University
Syracuse University is a private, international research university
with distinctive academics, diversely unique offerings and an
undeniable spirit. Located in the geographic heart of New York
State, with a global footprint, and nearly 150 years of history,
Syracuse University offers a quintessential college
The scope of Syracuse University is a testament to its strengths: a
pioneering history dating back to 1870; a choice of more than 200
majors and 100 minors offered through 13 schools and colleges;
nearly 15,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate students; more than
a quarter of a million alumni in 160 countries; and a student
population from all 50 U.S. states and 123 countries. For more
information, please visit www.syracuse.edu.
About the Syracuse area
Syracuse is a medium-sized city situated in the geographic center
of New York State approximately 250 miles northwest of New York
City. The metro-area population totals approximately 500,000. The
area offers a low cost of living and provides many social,
cultural, and recreational options, including parks, museums,
festivals, professional regional theater, and premier shopping
venues. Syracuse and Central New York present a wide range of
seasonal recreation and attractions ranging from water skiing and
snow skiing, hiking in the Adirondacks, touring the historic sites,
visiting wineries along the Finger Lakes, and biking on trails
along the Erie Canal.
Syracuse University is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action
institution. The University prohibits discrimination and harassment
based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, national
origin, citizenship, ethnicity, marital status, age, disability,
sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, veteran
status, or any other status protected by applicable law to the
extent prohibited by law. This nondiscrimination policy covers
admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in University
programs, services, and activities.
Commitment to Supporting and Hiring Veterans
Syracuse University has a long history of engaging veterans and the
military-connected community through its educational programs,
community outreach, and employment programs. After World War II,
Syracuse University welcomed more than 10,000 returning veterans to
our campus, and those veterans literally transformed Syracuse
University into the national research institution it is today. The
University’s contemporary commitment to veterans builds on this
historical legacy, and extends to both class-leading initiatives
focused on making an SU degree accessible and affordable to the
post-9/11 generation of veterans, and also programs designed to
position Syracuse University as the employer of choice for military
veterans, members of the Guard and Reserve, and military family
Commitment to a Diverse and Inclusive Campus Community
Syracuse University maintains an inclusive learning environment in
which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social
activities, governance, and all other aspects of campus life
reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview. The
University community recognizes and values the many similarities
and differences among individuals and groups. At Syracuse, we are
committed to preparing students to understand, live among,
appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world
made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds,
military backgrounds, religious beliefs, socio-economic status,
cultural traditions, abilities, sexual orientations and gender
identities. To do so, we commit ourselves to promoting a community
that celebrates and models the principles of diversity and
Job Posting Date
Full Consideration By
Message to Applicants