Washburn Institute of
seeks applications for a Surgical Technology
Clinical Instructor. This is a 10-month full time, benefit eligible
- Five years of experience in either the operating room scrub
role or as an instructor in surgical technology, or a combination
of both, within the past ten years.
- Possess a credential in the field of surgical technology
through a ARC/STSA.
- Possess an Associate degree or greater with an active
certification in surgical technology.
- Possess proficiency in sterile processing including
decontamination; preparing and packing instruments; sterilization
and disinfection; storage and distribution; quality assurance
processes; and equipment.
- Possess proficiency in instructional methodology and curriculum
- CRCST/IAHCSMM Certification in sterile processing.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three years (3) Teaching experience at the post-secondary
The Technical Instructor position consists of four essential
functions: teaching, service, collegiality, and professional
- Develop curriculum according to course competencies on each
- Develop assignments for the classroom and lab/shop if
applicable, and attend all class meetings.
- Enforce policies for safety and the use of personal protective
equipment for all individuals in the lab/shop environment.
- Maintain student records about the program (i.e., certification
testing and the assessment plan); administer tests.
- Evaluate student work, provide feedback to students, and assign
grades. Share (as appropriate) information with the Student
Services and Dean's offices; and use the University's Learning
Management System to track grades as required.
- Evaluate each course one teaches and assess personal
performance in teaching.
- Participate in college-wide staff development days,
departmental meetings and fulfill committee assignments.
- Serve on campus-wide committees as needed; participate actively
in departmental/program advisory board meetings.
- Foster a positive relationship with industry and the
- Submit budget and purchase recommendations.
- Act in a manner that promotes collegial relationships and shows
respect toward students, staff, and colleagues.
- Participate in graduation ceremonies and other ceremonial
events as pertains to the department.
- Maintain and advance training in industry-recognized
- Seek opportunities for professional development or advancement
of educational degrees.
- Stay abreast of innovations and developments in the
professional field and take advantage of the university's
instructional support programs.
- Adhere to college and University policies and perform
additional job-related duties as assigned or as appropriate.
Application review will begin August 5, 2021 and will continue
until the position is filled. To apply, submit a letter of
interest, resume, copies of transcripts, copies of current
credentials, and the names and contact information of three
professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Please indicate “Surgical Technology Technical Instructor” in the
subject line. The successful candidate will be required to submit
to a background check prior to hire. Official transcripts are
required once hired.
Washburn is dedicated to providing a student-centered and teaching
focused academic environment and a curriculum that engages the
diversity of human experience across the globe. We seek candidates
who are committed to Washburn's efforts to create a climate that
fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and
we encourage applications from members of groups that have been
historically underrepresented in higher education. Application
materials should clearly articulate how the candidate will
contribute to the University's commitment to diversity and
inclusion through their teaching, research, and/or service.
Washburn University is an EOE. Washburn University provides equal
access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and
employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national
origin, ancestry, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, genetic information, veteran status, or marital or