9-month position (Aug 16-May 15); actual start and end dates may
vary by academic year
Employees at this level supervise and participate in the work of a
group of employees engaged in a snack bar/sundry operation. They
work under general supervision of the Food Service Administrator
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
Oversees and ensures food preparation and sanitary standards are
maintained in food preparation and in the food prep, services
areas, and Front of House areas. Assists with food preparation and
serving of food and beverages as staffing and business dictates.
Establishes and maintains simple account records, manages cash
handling processes, and completes daily cash deposits. Assists with
operating POS register as staffing and business dictates. Assists
in planning, development, pricing, and rollout of new franchise
directives (i.e. merchandising, menu items, etc). Trains,
supervises, and evaluates employees on assigned shift. Continually
interacts with customers.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
One (1) year (12 months) of experience in fast-food procedures
(such as gained as a Food Court/Snack Bar Attendant).
Food Handlers Certificate or Food Service Manager Certification
required upon hire date.
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
1. Two years of experience in food service.
2. Knowledge of use and operation of cleaning materials, methods
3. Ability to read and write.
4. Ability to perform other related duties as assigned.
5. Ability to follow oral and written instructions and work
6. Ability to apply common sense to carry out detailed
7. Good communication skills.
8. Good customer service skills.
9. Food Service Sanitation Certification
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the
performance of this position.
1. Monitoring — Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other
individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take
2. Coordination — Adjusting actions in relation to others’
3. Speaking — Talking to others to convey information
4. Time Management — Managing one’s own time and the time of
5. Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people
are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking
questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate
6. Oral Comprehension — The ability to listen to and understand
information and ideas presented through spoken words and
7. Oral Expression — The ability to communicate information and
ideas in speaking so others will understand.
8. Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is
wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the
problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
9. Training and Teaching Others — Identifying the educational needs
of others, developing formal educational or training programs or
classes, and teaching or instructing others.
10. Coaching and Developing Others — Identifying the developmental
needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping
others to improve their knowledge or skills.
11. Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates —
Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates
by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
12. Organizing, Planning, and Prioritizing Work — Developing
specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish
13. Developing and Building Teams — Encouraging and building mutual
trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
14. Establishing and Maintaining Interpersonal Relationships —
Developing constructive and cooperative working relationships with
others, and maintaining them over time.
15. Ability to maintain simple account records and forms.
16. Ability to make accurate and rapid calculations in the transfer
Varies based on department needs (Standard hours are 37.5 hours per
Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly)
$15.25 per hour
Hiring Rate Information
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and
internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the
application. Be specific on your entire work history,
including employment dates and duties for all positions
held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered
toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted
to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is
required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed
to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the
classification, including any specialty factors associated with
this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding
your application. Emails will be generated from firstname.lastname@example.org and
CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu. Please add these emails to your
address book to ensure timely delivery of any future
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your
online profile be personal use, not professional/work information:
personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The
information you provide is used to make contact on search updates,
department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay
sensitive and important information in a way that protects your
privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE
NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE
EXAMINATION . At the time of testing, you will be
required to present a photo ID. NOTE : If you have
previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the
exam to improve your score and register position, please contact
Civil Service Testing Office 3912 by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s
license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at
the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points,
DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge
MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the
maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed
for this position, the names with the top three scores will be
referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click on
Food Court/Snack Bar Supervisor for more information including
salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications,
and testing requirements.
Link to Department Homepage
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal
background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal
background investigation results have been received and cleared by
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger,
handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. The
employee frequently is required to taste or smell. The employee is
occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel,
and crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10
pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific
vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color
vision, and depth perception. The work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an
equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis
of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age,
physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status,
sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political
affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional
qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and
state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to
nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries
regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required
to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and
to complete the required employment eligibility verification
document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and
application procedures include full opportunities for applicants
with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to
anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s
disability during either the application or interview process. An
applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate
in the employment process due to a disability may request that
accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form
. For further assistance,
please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity
and Education ( AAEOE ) at email@example.com
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and
fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency
response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to
crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years.
The Annual Security Report containing security and safety
information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by
contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety
Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire
Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or
by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at
815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you currently possess a current Food Handlers Certificate
or Food Service Manager Certification?
- No, I do not but will by the time of hire.
- Have you attached a copy of your DD214, DD215, NGB22, or DD256
for consideration of Veteran's Preference Points? The copy
submitted should reflect the status of discharge in order to be
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Certifications/Licensure #1
- Certifications/Licensure #2
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY