Assistant Director of Postdoctoral Services (Academic Professional)
Georgia Tech's Professional Development unit in the Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education & Faculty Development (VPGEFD) invites applications and nominations for an academic professional with the tentative working title of Assistant Director of Postdoctoral Services. This position will support and advocate for Georgia Tech’s ~400 postdoctoral scholars (“postdocs”), who are primarily within the Colleges of Engineering, Sciences, Computing, and the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts. The candidate selected will enhance postdoctoral training across campus by organizing and communicating professional development and networking opportunities; maintaining processes and policies; and representing and advocating on issues that affect the experience of postdoctoral scholars.
- Collaborate with the leadership of VPGEFD and campus stakeholders to develop and implement strategies to meet the needs of the postdoc community;
- Plan, develop, facilitate, and assess professional development programs for postdocs;
- Organize networking and community building events;
- Create cohort-based programs and orientation materials to support the acclimation of postdocs new to Georgia Tech;
- Draft newsletters and website content that provides information on resources, polices, and professional development opportunities for postdocs;
- Maintain connections and communications with faculty, staff, and campus service units that hire and/or provide services to postdoctoral scholars;
- Collect and evaluate data on institutional climate, resources, and unmet needs for postdoctoral scholars via regular surveys and interviews;
- Respond to inquiries and provide assistance regarding Institute and Board of Regents policies and processes related to postdocs;
- Review hiring packages for postdoctoral scholars, in coordination with the Office of Faculty Affairs;
- Work with the leadership of VPGEFD and campus stakeholders to improve postdoctoral recruitment and mentoring practices across campus;
- Liaise with on-campus postdoc groups, as well as the National Postdoctoral Association and the national and international discussion on postdoctoral education;
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Application Process
The ideal candidate will be a collaborative and creative individual who has a minimum of two years of experience in higher education working with postdocs, graduate students, and/or faculty. We are looking for an energetic and responsive team player with a proven ability to partner across institutional units and make inclusive and ethical practices a priority.
The successful candidate will have experience with developing and delivering professional development materials/resources for postdocs, graduate students, and/or faculty; strong verbal and written communication skills; the ability to collaborative effectively; the organizational and event coordination skills to plan and execute programs; the ability to interact effectively and diplomatically with all stakeholders; and an understanding of a research university environment.
A terminal degree of Ph.D., Ed.D., or equivalent is required for this non-tenure-track academic faculty position within the job category of Academic Professional (exact rank will depend on the education, experience, and specialization of the selected candidate).
The Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) is one of the nation's leading research universities, providing a focused, technologically based education to more than 36,000 undergraduate and graduate students. Georgia Tech has many nationally recognized programs, all top-ranked by peers and publications alike, and is ranked in the nation's top ten public universities by U.S. News and World Report. It offers degrees through the Colleges of Design, Computing, Engineering, and Sciences, the Scheller College of Business, and the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts. As a leading technological university, Georgia Tech has almost 4,000 academic and research faculty, over 350 postdocs, over 20,000 graduate students, and 100 graduate degree programs and interdisciplinary research centers that consistently contribute vital research and innovation to America's government, industry, and business.
Initial screening of applicants will begin August 1, 2021 and continue until the position is filled. To submit an application please include a cover letter that addresses your qualifications for this position, a resume/CV, and the names, titles and contact information (email, phone) for five professional references in a single MS Word or PDF file. The selection process will include passing a pre-employment background check and submission of official transcripts. The exact start date is negotiable.
The Georgia Institute of Technology is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
The salary for this position is expected to be in the range of $68,000 to $80,000 per year. It is a full-time, 12-month, non-tenure track faculty position within the within the job category of Academic Professional.
Please email email@example.com with questions.